Rough rooster plucking head feathers

docteurshepherd

Songster
Nov 23, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
So the title is the basics of it. I have a mille fleur rooster and some Rhode Island reds, a lavender d'uccle and a few salmon faverolles.

The salmon faverolles look really rough, he has their heads bald from mating. I'm sure it's not good with the sun too. I know it's not mites because if so he'd be bald, and also the Rhode Island reds don't have a bald head which makes sense because they don't let him breed them.

I'm just wondering what do you do?? I know there's saddles for chickens but not what I need. Cant get more chickens, don't want more first of all secondly I suspect I have a chronic respiratory disease in the flock so need to keep a closed flock. Do you just leave them be? I really like my rooster. He's beyond beautiful and wouldn't want to get rid of him.

As Salmon Faverolles have soft plumage and a willing disposition, they will look rough after a few weeks with a young and maybe overexcited rooster, because he will mainly be mating them.

Give your rooster a nice pedicure (trimming and dulling claws and spurs) to prevent him from cutting their backs and sides. Salmon Faverolles have very delicate skin and are easily hurt by a rooster's spurs or claws. But of course this will not help with the bald heads.

One thing you could try is separating him with the RIRs, so he will finally get used to mating them as well and spread the love further on.

As Salmon Faverolles have soft plumage and a willing disposition, they will look rough after a few weeks with a young and maybe overexcited rooster, because he will mainly be mating them.

Give your rooster a nice pedicure (trimming and dulling claws and spurs) to prevent him from cutting their backs and sides. Salmon Faverolles have very delicate skin and are easily hurt by a rooster's spurs or claws. But of course this will not help with the bald heads.

One thing you could try is separating him with the RIRs, so he will finally get used to mating them as well and spread the love further on.
Oh that's interesting. Yeah they really do seem to just let him completely. He doesn't have spurs, yet I guess just nubs but I may trim his nails as a precaution, good idea. Surprisingly he isn't hurting their back or sides that I've noticed but wouldn't want him to start.
Separating with just my Rhode Island Reds is also a good idea. I'd have to think more on that of how I'd make it work. It's not that I don't have the resources I'm just free ranging them all right now and don't really want any locked up at the moment. I guess I may just have to accept this for what it is. Hopefully he stops doing it so much though. Maybe his hormones are just a lot right now.

Back
Top Bottom