Round and Fat 1 Week Chick - Something Wrong?

TeresaInTexas

Chirping
Jan 14, 2022
Good morning. I am a newbie when it comes to chickens. I have 8 baby chicks that I ordered online and everyone is doing great except my Welsummer baby chick who is 1 week and 2 days old. She is smaller than the other chicks and wobbles a bit when she walks because she is round and looks fat. She is eating and drinking but then she will go straight to the brooder and stands there. All of the other chicks have started “laying down” when in the brooder except for her. Her poop has been sticking to her fur so I am having to clean her everyday. Something just doesn’t seem right. Am I worrying over nothing?

I am attaching a picture of her which is not the best and will get another one of her if I am able. She’s the one on the bottom.

Attachments

• 2558AF50-F9FB-45C1-B28A-1C6B360ABA1C.jpeg
    2558AF50-F9FB-45C1-B28A-1C6B360ABA1C.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 59
You mentioned you have to clean her so that the poop doesn't stick to her. Is her vent actually clear? Can you post a picture?
I've seen chicks with pasty butt look round because they can't poop. I'm wondering if this is the problem, if there is a problem at all. Maybe she's just a little chunkier.

Yes her vent is clear but is swollen. I put some vasaline on her vent yesterday. I need to clean her again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 32
You mentioned you have to clean her so that the poop doesn't stick to her. Is her vent actually clear? Can you post a picture?
I've seen chicks with pasty butt look round because they can't poop. I'm wondering if this is the problem, if there is a problem at all. Maybe she's just a little chunkier.
See post below. I forgot to hit your reply button.

Back
Top Bottom