Round Bale, No Equipment?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I usually use small square bales of hay but was recently given a large round bale.
Can't turn down free hay.
Got it home and off the truck, now it's sitting on a pallet and I have no idea how to use it.

Ideally, I'd like to give some to my goats and put some in each of my pens. But I found out real quick that it ain't as simple as pulling a section off.

I don't have any equipment.

What can I do here?

Get a couple strong helpers and push it to unroll it? That's all I know of to do with the round bails. Then you can pull some off and carry it to the different animals.

Get a couple strong helpers and push it to unroll it? That's all I know of to do with the round bails. Then you can pull some off and carry it to the different animals.
Thank you. I'll get on that first thing tomorrow.

Thank you. I'll get on that first thing tomorrow.
Good luck. Let me know if it was able to be done.
If that doesnt work I guess you could try cutting into it.
When my nephew gets those round nails he gets whatever is tied around it off before he pushes it off his truck. He also pushes it into the area he wants it. As its being pushed off the truck it will automatically start to unroll. Try it that way if you ever get another one.

I was always able to push the smaller ones myself once I got them started off the flat spot, 2 people for the huge ones.

If you like where it is you can cut the mesh or baling twine and pull off a layer at a time. To make a cleaner job of it a machete whacked crosswise to the bale at mid calf level or big lopping sheers cutting through laters will make it so you're not pulling against the bale at the ends of each layer when you want to lift it off.

Good luck. Let me know if it was able to be done.
If that doesnt work I guess you could try cutting into it.
When my nephew gets those round nails he gets whatever is tied around it off before he pushes it off his truck. He also pushes it into the area he wants it. As its being pushed off the truck it will automatically start to unroll. Try it that way if you ever get another one.
Hey! Was able to unroll it! Thanks a ton! The solution sounds so simple but it honestly hadn't occurred to me. Once ya get it started it goes pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom