round up and birth defects, tell me something I didn't already know

Quote:
You all keep shooting yourselves in the foot!

I can say with absolute certainty that absolutely NO plants make round up.

The glyphosate resistance in plants is due to a duplication of the enzyme that is inhibited by glyphosate in the plant.

Jim

Ok I'm not sure I understand what you are meaning when you say that, then this: "by glyphosate in the plant." Could you explain

Glyphosate inhibits the action of an enzyme in the plant which causes the slow death of the plant. To overcome this the geneticists inserted the genes to duplicate this enzyme thereby bypassing the activity of glyphosate in the plant.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Ok I'm not sure I understand what you are meaning when you say that, then this: "by glyphosate in the plant." Could you explain

Glyphosate inhibits the action of an enzyme in the plant which causes the slow death of the plant. To overcome this the geneticists inserted the genes to duplicate this enzyme thereby bypassing the activity of glyphosate in the plant.

Jim​

Well aren't you saying that there is indeed Roundup which is glyphosate in the plant?

Quote:
I am NOT saying that the plant PRODUCES glyphosate. When a plant is sprayed with glyphosate the molecule is absorbed and then acts on a specific enzyme in the plant.

Ok. You are right. This is where I was getting my viewpoint-
"Glufosinate- tolerant crops may produce herbicide inside our intestines:

1 Some crops are engineered to wtihstand glufosfinate-based herbicide.

2 When the plant is sprayed, the crops transform the herbicide into a compound regarded as non-toxic, called NAG ( N acetyl L glufosinate), which remains in the plant.

3 Once humans or animals consume NAG, gut bacteria can revert some NAG back into toxic herbicide

4 The herbicide has known toxic effects, acts as an anitbody and may kill off or disturb gut mirco-flora

5 If the herbicide tolerant gene transfers to gut bacteria it could magnify problems."​

Quote:
I am NOT saying that the plant PRODUCES glyphosate. When a plant is sprayed with glyphosate the molecule is absorbed and then acts on a specific enzyme in the plant.

Ok. You are right. This is where I was getting my viewpoint-
"Glufosinate- tolerant crops may produce herbicide inside our intestines:

1 Some crops are engineered to wtihstand glufosfinate-based herbicide.

2 When the plant is sprayed, the crops transform the herbicide into a compound regarded as non-toxic, called NAG ( N acetyl L glufosinate), which remains in the plant.

3 Once humans or animals consume NAG, gut bacteria can revert some NAG back into toxic herbicide

4 The herbicide has known toxic effects, acts as an anitbody and may kill off or disturb gut mirco-flora

5 If the herbicide tolerant gene transfers to gut bacteria it could magnify problems."

That is glufosinate NOT glyphosate, they are two different compounds. Our discussion was an Glyphosate also known as Round Up. The information you just posted was on glufosinate known to farmers as Liberty Link.

I am not well versed in the mode of action of glufosinate.

Jim

Not impressed. The Earth Open Source organization did something known as "cherry picking the data." They ignored the studies that had been done that showed no linkage between RoundUp and birth defects and selected a very few articles to use as the basis for their report.

I'm holding my opinion until I hear more information from various scientific sources. I trust Earth Open Source and other advocacy groups - including industry advocacy groups - as far as I can throw them. I always try to look at the raw data of any report trumpeted in the media as I remember a very bogus study found in a major juried journal that was used to promote so-called "gun control." It turned out the premise of the research was bogus, and the author was actually strongly reprimanded by researchers in his area of expertise for his methodology. The reality was that he - and the juried journal - were not vetting his article as science, but were using it to promote a political perspective.

And then there was the alleged "research" linking autism and immunizations. Literally *thousands* of children worldwide died or were crippled by preventable diseases because of research done at the behest of a legal firm that sought to sue immunization manufacturers.

Quote:
Well, I live in California where people *do* complain about mosquito control. We have West Nile and we have Equine Encephalitis among other delightfuls spread by mosquitoes - but the hysteria and government policy is reserved for concerns that pesticides might cause cancer, birth defects, allergies, poisoning, whatever. Who minds a few dozen dead children as long as our vital bodily fluids are kept pure.

Sometimes I feel like I am actually *living* Dr. Strangelove.

I agree with you on this!!!

I often cringe when I hear the latest and greatest from the commodity groups I work with when they tout the latest research findings. Typically the truth is different than the headines.

Jim

My first college degree is in Foods & Nutrition. I have spent years being amazed by the inaccuracies, fads, and misleading garbage spread by the media in the fields of nutrition and food science. The amount of medical hucksterism centered on nutrition and food science is unbelievable.​

Well it’s been a few months since methyl iodide was approved for use in California agriculture.
Methyl iodide is a fumigant pesticide. Google it

Another reason to grow your own fruit and vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom