Round Worm Treatment

Welcome!
In the USA, piperazine is no longer approved for use in poultry. Fenbendazole is the only approved drug, and there's no withdrawal time depending on dosage for it. Also, if one bird in the flock has roundworms, all will likely need to be treated. did anything else turn up on the vet's fecal exam? If you are only treating rounds because you actually saw one, and haven't had fecals run, you will be missing the whole story, and failing with piperazine anyway.
Mary

Sorry to reanimate an old thread, but I'm having the same issue with one of my hens. She has roundworms and is losing weight, so I grabbed WormEze too, since it was easy to get on Amazon and had the active ingredient piperazine. My bottle says that it contains 275mg of piperazine citrate (110 piperazine base) per 5ml (1 tsp) of product.

According to PoultryDVM,

"Piperazine can be given orally by mouth in each bird, or added to the flock’s water source...

If given by mouth: 50 mg/bird (if younger than 6 weeks of age), otherwise 100 mg/bird (if older than 6 weeks of age), or according to the manufacturer label. Repeat in 7-10 days.

If added to flock water source: 3 mL per gallon of water, or in accordance with the manufacturer’s label. Repeat in 7-10 days."
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/piperazine

If I'm to trust PoultryDVM, just one 1/2 tsp dose (55mg piperazine base) for a young bird, or one 1 tsp dose (110 mg piperazine base) for an adult bird should be sufficient until their subsequent dose a week later? The conflicting dosage information has me a bit confused.
So new chicken person here and I was wondering about this in turkeys and bantams. I also have chickens. Is it just based off of age or Can it be based on size? I am worried that the dosage for the age of my bantams would hurt them or even kill them. Were would I find info that is reliable for poultry of all kinds. Info that is reliable on the internet is all mixed in with everything else.....

So new chicken person here and I was wondering about this in turkeys and bantams. I also have chickens. Is it just based off of age or Can it be based on size? I am worried that the dosage for the age of my bantams would hurt them or even kill them. Were would I find info that is reliable for poultry of all kinds. Info that is reliable on the internet is all mixed in with everything else.....
Welcome to BYC! Medications are given based on weight. How much do your chickens weigh and what do you want to treat them for?

Sorry to reanimate an old thread, but I'm having the same issue with one of my hens. She has roundworms and is losing weight, so I grabbed WormEze too, since it was easy to get on Amazon and had the active ingredient piperazine. My bottle says that it contains 275mg of piperazine citrate (110 piperazine base) per 5ml (1 tsp) of product.

According to PoultryDVM,

"Piperazine can be given orally by mouth in each bird, or added to the flock’s water source...

If given by mouth: 50 mg/bird (if younger than 6 weeks of age), otherwise 100 mg/bird (if older than 6 weeks of age), or according to the manufacturer label. Repeat in 7-10 days.

If added to flock water source: 3 mL per gallon of water, or in accordance with the manufacturer’s label. Repeat in 7-10 days."
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/piperazine

If I'm to trust PoultryDVM, just one 1/2 tsp dose (55mg piperazine base) for a young bird, or one 1 tsp dose (110 mg piperazine base) for an adult bird should be sufficient until their subsequent dose a week later? The conflicting dosage information has me a bit confused.
Hello new member here..also new poultry person here and I was wondering about this in turkeys and bantams. I also have chickens. Is it just based off of age or Can it be based on size? I am worried that the dosage for the age of my bantams would hurt them or even kill them. Were would I find info that is reliable for poultry of all kinds. Info that is reliable on the internet is all mixed in with everything else.....

Welcome to BYC! Medications are given based on weight. How much do your chickens weigh and what do you want to treat them for?
I don't know... how would I find that out? By stepping on a scale and then subtracting my weight from the combined weight... and any kind of worms really a preventative measure.

Back
Top Bottom