Round worm treatment...

@casportpony, yes please! I was just going to get some Piperazine from our local feed store and follow the instructions. Please let me know if you have a better suggestion. Thanks!

@casportpony, yes please! I was just going to get some Piperazine from our local feed store and follow the instructions. Please let me know if you have a better suggestion. Thanks!
You could try that, but something like Valbazen of Safeguard might be a better choice. How many chickens do you have?

-Kathy

I have 12 younger chickens in the chicken run area, and then 2 older chickens who roam the yard. The younger ones are about 3 months old, and not laying yet. The older ones may also have worms too, as they don't lay and are getting thin.

Why would I choose Valbazen of Safeguard over Piperazine or Wazine?

Can you simply put Valbazen of Safeguard in their waterer? Or do you have to put it directly in their mouth?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have 12 younger chickens in the chicken run area, and then 2 older chickens who roam the yard. The younger ones are about 3 months old, and not laying yet. The older ones may also have worms too, as they don't lay and are getting thin.

Why would I choose Valbazen of Safeguard over Piperazine or Wazine?

Can you simply put Valbazen of Safeguard in their waterer? Or do you have to put it directly in their mouth?

Thank you!
Valbazen and Safeguard have to be given orally, but they will treat more than roundworms, though the Safeguard has to be given 5 days in a row to do that.

-Kathy

If you're seeing worms in the poop I would get something ASAP, either Safeguard for goats (~$25 from Tractor Supply) and give 0.23ml per pound once and repeat in ten days, or get Wazine (piperazine).

The 0.023ml per pound dose of Safeguard will treat large roundworms and cecal worms.

-Kathy

This is what I found in the feces this morning:

I'm fairly certain it is round worm, but please correct me if you think that is wrong.

I'm going to get Piperazine and treat them today.

What is the treatment dosage for Valbazen and for how many days? I'm not sure how to pry a chicken's mouth open to treat them. Is it a two person job or can one person do it?

Thanks for the advice!

This is what I found in the feces this morning:

I'm fairly certain it is round worm, but please correct me if you think that is wrong.

I'm going to get Piperazine and treat them today.

What is the treatment dosage for Valbazen and for how many days? I'm not sure how to pry a chicken's mouth open to treat them. Is it a two person job or can one person do it?

Thanks for the advice!
Looks like a large roundworm to me.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound and repeat in ten days.

I do them by myslef, but it might be easier if you had help the first time.
Read this: http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

Above pictures from Hopkins peafowl.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I picked up a bottle of Piperazine today.

What is the dosage?

How long should I leave the treated water out for them to drink?

What is the egg withdrawal period?

Is this the same for Wazine?

Should I follow up with Valbazen after? If so, how long after the Piperazine treatment?

Thank you for all of your advice! Certainly learning a lot!!

Back
Top Bottom