Roundup alternatives?

RenoHuskerDu

Songster
Aug 8, 2018
Central Texas
For 30 years I've been suspicious of Glyphosate, such as Roundup. While many use it widely, I've only used it for small troublesome spots and truly noxious weeds such as Poison Oak. Well, the news is out in even the fake (https://archive.fo/nBTyV) news that Glyphosate gets in our food chain, our water, and causes cancer.

Sure, this is more due to mass Roundup application in commercial agriculture than it is to folks like us. But still we should stop. I haven't bought any in 15 years. Now I use PastureGard sparingly for Prickly Pear, Goat Head, and our long Texas fence lines, but who knows when the news will come out that it too is a carcinogen?

Are any of y'all using a safe alternative such as this mix of vinegar/salt/oil? How are your results? I'd like to cut back to only using PastureGard on the Prickly Pear (a very hard plant to kill when you have acres of it). I plan to try this mix today on the generic weed patch that we call our front yard.

Here's a summary, and the full article is below that.
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • 1 TBSP salt
  • 2 TBSP dawn or oils
  • Several drops of citrus based essential oil (optional)
  • Spray bottle (you will need 20 oz. minimum)
  • Funnel
https://thethriftycouple.com/diy-al...oundup-homemade-recipe-is-effective-and-safe/

I mixed that up today and tried it on a few square yards of Texas weeds, including thistles which are pretty tough to kill.

I'll report back. We get one more day of hot sun so I will probably spray them again tomorrow before the rain is due on Saturday.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a safer alternative too, to kill the Himalayan Blackberries and bindweed that love my greenhouse! I heard there is a vinegar based one but I forget to look for it when I'm out. I think the commercial vinegar is much stronger than that we get off the shelf at the store, but I'm hoping yours works! Thanks!

Cathy

I've been looking for a safer alternative too, to kill the Himalayan Blackberries and bindweed that love my greenhouse! I heard there is a vinegar based one but I forget to look for it when I'm out. I think the commercial vinegar is much stronger than that we get off the shelf at the store, but I'm hoping yours works! Thanks!

Cathy

I think vinegar is vinegar. Just get the biggest bottle you can at HEB, WalMart, etc.

Back
Top Bottom