Routine worming for SMALL flock??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pawsplus, Mar 2, 2009.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I've never given them anything at all, but having done a lot of research once Olivia got sick, I'm now wondering if I should. And if so, what?

I have 3 chickens, w/ no intention of getting more. Olivia had a completely clean fecal at the avian vet's. Do I need to do anything as far as preventative worming? I prefer not to give them toxic substances without good reasons . . . . Would it be better to just take a fecal sample in every few months?

2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

If the sample was neg, I would not give them anything. As far as I know, wormers oly kill parasites that are present. Routine worming prevents a large build-up of worms.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I personally would not treat unless there was a problem. The fewer chemicals, the better. Clean fecal = good job! If you like, it is certainly not a bad idea to have them tested a couple of times a year.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  4. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would only treat IF a fecal came back positive, else it's drugs for no reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by