Royal Chinese geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylverfly, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    So I've been hearing/reading a lot about a goose breed called the royal Chinese goose. Which apparently is a different breed or variation from the regular Chinese goose. I haven't seen an actual photo of one and haven't been able to find much about them online. I'm wondering if they are actually a breed I've seen before but are now called something different? I've heard they are very rare and the largest goose breed in captivity and can exceed the adult weight of most breeds at 10 weeks old. Anyone heard of this goose before?

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Haven't heard of them. Even a google search didnt provide any results [​IMG]

3. If google didn't find it, it's probably a myth ;)

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    the statement of exceeds adult weight at 10 weeks is pretty skeptical. I would bet someone had a few slightly larger geese and created a name for them as a marketing ploy if there is any truth to the bird at all.

5. Well said!

6. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I was skeptical too but a few people had mentioned the breed to me. I have run of the mill Chinese white and brown (they are large for the breed, one of my males is a behemoth I'll admit, but no where near what the royal Chinese was claimed). I discredited it as local nonsense, you know the talk that goes on between old men and people who have never even seen an actual goose, lol. But I was reading The Encyclopedia of Country Living and it was listed under the goose breed section, with that bit about size and rarity. I googled it after reading that and also came up with nothing, which made me wonder if it was really really rare, or a different breed I'd never heard of (maybe even a wild goose or something) called by another name (which is why nothing came up on google) or just a name people are calling a large line of Chinese and breeding for marketing like you mentioned, like a king German shepherd. I thought I'd check here, if BYC doesn't know, it probably doesn't exist, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by