Royal Palm Hen still laying eggs in November

Donna R

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Plant City, Florida
I have a 2- year old royal palm hen that has not molted yet and is still laying eggs in november in Floria near tampa. What can I do to help her molt and stop laying eggs. I am guessing the two things are related. My other hens have molted and are not laying eggs. I am afraid that if she does molt soon she will be cold in the winter and possible die. Any help or coments would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think she will get cold and die if she doesn't molt, especially in Florida. I wouldn't stress it. Im in NH and already have freezing temps snow flurries and frozen solid waterers in the mornings. One of my hens is still laying an egg every couple of days. I expect she will stop in the next week or 2 with the very cold weather. But turkeys are very winter hardy. I wouldn't try to force a molt but that is just my opinion. Maybe someone else has some opinions.

Thanks for the input.. I am originally from Illinois so I know cold, but you turn into a sissy down here when it hits 40 degrees. LOL Glad to hear someone else has a mixed up turkey. Never had mine do this before.

In Kansas City I have a royal palm hen that only takes a couple of months off her egg laying duty and continues to have a "good time" entertaining the toms too (if you know what I mean)!. She molted last year in Dec. and was happy as a clam in her cute quilted butterfly winged turkey saddle from Louise's Country Closet! They can tolerate lower temps with good shelter but I feel better knowing that the saddle keeps the chill off her bare skin, plus she seems to like her little jacket. Keep enjoying your eggs!!!

Sounds like you two have a couple of good hens to breed from for a line of egg-laying turkeys! That would be kind of cool, actually -- wouldn't have to keep chickens for eggs, just turkeys for eggs and meat.

Kathleen

It is really not unusual for the first 3 years for the hen's to lay for a couple of seasons per year. They usually get into their regular spring laying after that. I would just leave her alone and she should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom