Royal palm X blue slate?

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I have been looking into getting some turkeys and found some blue slate/royal palm cross Turkey poults... anybody have pictures of this cross so I will know what I'm getting? Please show me your gorgeous babies! Also if I did get these and I bred them when they are older to each other what would their offspring be? Would it just be random or what? Thanks!

I have been looking into getting some turkeys and found some blue slate/royal palm cross Turkey poults... anybody have pictures of this cross so I will know what I'm getting? Please show me your gorgeous babies! Also if I did get these and I bred them when they are older to each other what would their offspring be? Would it just be random or what? Thanks!
It depends on which was the father. If the Royal Palm was the father the poults are sex links. The female offspring will be Barred Semi-Color Semi-Gray Dilute Lilac or Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray Narragansett. The male offspring will be Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray or Tri-color Mottled Slate.

If the Blue Slate is the father they will not be sex links. The poults will be either Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray or Tri-color Mottled Slate.

Breeding the offspring together will result in many different varieties due to the combination of heterozygous genes.

You can do your own calculations by using Porter's Turkey Color Calculator.

It depends on which was the father. If the Royal Palm was the father the poults are sex links. The female offspring will be Barred Semi-Color Semi-Gray Dilute Lilac or Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray Narragansett. The male offspring will be Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray or Tri-color Mottled Slate.

If the Blue Slate is the father they will not be sex links. The poults will be either Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray or Tri-color Mottled Slate.

Breeding the offspring together will result in many different varieties due to the combination of heterozygous genes.

You can do your own calculations by using Porter's Turkey Color Calculator.
Umm ok I suck at genetics but uhh here are some pictures so maybe you can help. The last 2 pictures were just hatched this morning. Are the darker ones in the background in the last pics the males or female?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-064832_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-064832_Chrome.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20210624-070306_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-070306_Messages.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20210624-070309_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-070309_Messages.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Umm well all of them look the same to me so maybe you can help. The Tom is royal palm so they should be sex links correct? I don't see any differences do you?
Based on those colors as poults they should be Barred Semi-Color Semi-Gray Dilute Lilac females and Tri-color Mottled Slate males which may not be enough different to tell apart as poults but will be enough different as adults.

I know that my Tri-color Mottled Slates look pretty much like a Blue Slate at hatch and don't start getting their distinguishable colors until they are getting their adult feathers.

Based on those colors as poults they should be Barred Semi-Color Semi-Gray Dilute Lilac females and Tri-color Mottled Slate males which may not be enough different to tell apart as poults but will be enough different as adults.

I know that my Tri-color Mottled Slates look pretty much like a Blue Slate at hatch and don't start getting their distinguishable colors until they are getting their adult feathers.
Do you have any pictures of yours? I’ll be breeding my Palm Tom to a Slate female.

These are from a Sweetgrass tom and Blue Slate hen and do not have a Narragansett gene. Yours will have a Narragansett gene.

Tri-color Mottled Black
View attachment 3390985
View attachment 3390988
View attachment 3390994
Tri-color Mottled Slate
View attachment 3391014
View attachment 3391016
View attachment 3391017
This is interesting to know. Last year when I didn’t separate my Sweetgrass turkeys from my blue slates, I got poults that looked like Sweetgrass and poults that looked like blue slate. So I assumed that the two groups had shunned each other and produced purebred offspring. I did tell the buyers that the blue ones might be half Sweetgrass. I wonder if they were tricolored mottled slates. (Although since the Tom was lavender and one of the hens was lavender, and most of the blue chicks hatched out lavender, I still believe those ones were pure.)

This is interesting to know. Last year when I didn’t separate my Sweetgrass turkeys from my blue slates, I got poults that looked like Sweetgrass and poults that looked like blue slate. So I assumed that the two groups had shunned each other and produced purebred offspring. I did tell the buyers that the blue ones might be half Sweetgrass. I wonder if they were tricolored mottled slates. (Although since the Tom was lavender and one of the hens was lavender, and most of the blue chicks hatched out lavender, I still believe those ones were pure.)
Most of the time I cannot tell Tri-color Mottled Slates or Mottled Slates from Blue Slates at the hatch. Sometimes but not always they may have a spot of brown on their head if they are the Tri-colors.

I have seen the different varieties stick to their own variety when free ranging but all bets are off during breeding season when the dominant tom will breed any variety.

Back
Top Bottom