RPi Coop Camera

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I've been doing some testing using a Raspberry Pi Zero W along with their RPi NoIR camera. I have a Anker 10,000 mAh battery and after turning off everything I can find that I don't need like HDMI and the LED's it will run 44 1/2 hours on a full charge. I have the instructions for building the camera setup on my web site here. The battery takes a while to charge but I'm not using the Anker charger. I'm going to slow down the processor and see what the up time is. It's a pretty small unit, the RPi + Camera + Case is on the right.

rpi-camera-06.jpg

Here is a screen shot from the camera.
nest-cam-01.jpg

Edit: Reading up on slowing down the CPU shows a negligible power savings. So I'm going to try just turning off the camera when I'm not using it...

JT

Last edited:
I've been researching my camera setup and software and came across three softwares that work well. Motion is the underlying software for Motioneye which resides on a Linux Server I have running. Motioneyeos I found to be rather interesting as it is an operating system for the Raspberry Pi with the camera software Motioneye built in. The only drawback it is only works with the Raspberry Pi camera or clone that plugs into the camera port on the RPi. However you can see that Motioneye can work with any IP camera. The screenshot I have a USB camera in the nest box, an AmCrest camera in the run, a HikVision camera watching the chicken yard and a D-Link camera inside the coop. I can monitor all of them in one place with Motioneye.

motioneye-01.jpg

JT

Haha, I love that!

I found another secret rebel base yesterday, in the woodshed, with four eggs in it. JT, let me know when the tech will let me put a Go Pro on each hens head.

It'll be like 1984 for the chickens, a real police state, with me in charge! I'll know every move they make! :)

Haha, I love that!

I found another secret rebel base yesterday, in the woodshed, with four eggs in it. JT, let me know when the tech will let me put a Go Pro on each hens head.

It'll be like 1984 for the chickens, a real police state, with me in charge! I'll know every move they make! :)

The camera itself is pretty darn small... it's all the other stuff you need that would weigh them down. Probably easier to just have RFID tags on each one with readers in key locations so you can track their movements.

Or use Motioneye with some cameras to pick up their movements.

JT

Back
Top Bottom