Rposter Attacks!

Since this was were you work, you had no right to kick anything hard enough to kill it. If it was your own then it would be your choice (tho cruel). Besides other than have fertile eggs, one of the main reasons for having a rooster is for it to protect the hens. That is what that roo was doing. Granted it can be a bit scarey (never heard of a rooster killing someone) there areother ways to have dealt with it. Swatting it away, bring food, discuss it with your boss on how to deal with it. That sounds like a roo that would do well on a farm that has to deal with predators. I'd take him in a heartbeat!
hmm.png

This guy right here is the only aggressive Rooster I have out my 15. He tests everyone new. And I've put my foot against his chest and pushed him away and then chased him everytime I saw him for 2 or 3 days. Now he doesn't chase me. He would only do it when your back was turned and walking away. He is about 4 or 5 lbs and couldn't hurt anyone. He's only 5 months old and doesn't have sharp spurs yet. But my fiance is terrified of chickens already and him chasing her doesn't help. So he's going to have to go. And I can't get her to chase him. I've tried.
063.jpg

This guy is the the Top Dog. He's about 8 or 9 pounds and a big sweet heart to people. He does put the other Roos in their place and they don't have a problem following orders. When he was about 4 or 5 weeks old he was chasing and bullying the other Little Roos. So I named him Stone Cold Steve Austin cause I thought he was mean. But now he's a good Boss and Security guard. Even at 8 pounds I know he can't hurt me if he decided to try. The aggressive Roo is near the bottom of the pecking order. Funny how he is the most aggressive towards people but runs from most of the other Roos.

Stone Cold Steve Austin
056.jpg

060.jpg

I'd be thinking more about what my boss would do to me when I came back to work, not myself! For this reason, I've stopped kicking roosters, even if it's just a nudge. I only resorted to this in the past when my younger brother was getting attacked, or I was in front of a guest or family member. But the last few months, thanks to BYC, I've seen how lucky I am that I have not caused serious damage, so I've handled these problems in other, more HUMANE ways.

That's horrible! I would have more remorse for the animal! Roosters could be much worse than that if they wanted to. Sounds like typical mean roo behavior to me. Unless the owner gave you permission to kick his or her's animals, the risk really shouldn't have been taken. Now a life has been wasted because the behavior wasn't given the chanced to be managed in other ways.

I've had scratches from roosters, bruises, and scars that will be there for life. Sometimes this is what we must pay to make certain we don't kill anything. I'd rather have injuries and physical wounds and proudly say that I'm tolerating the rooster, or even got rid of it, rather than live with the burden of guilt that I had killed an animal who didn't even belong to me.

If you can't deal with aggressive roosters, bring the issue to the owners' attention.
sad.png
That's all I have to say.

Last edited:
geesh its not like the bird is ten feet tall.. i would fire you on the spot if you killed someones animal..whether it be chicken, dog,or horse. cruelty to animals is never tolerated. sorry but i say... LOSER TO YOU

Quote:
Your probably going to catch alot of negative remarks about what you did but I'm with you. I had a rooster that thought he would be aggressive and I got to where I carried a stick in the coop with me to feed. He stayed away from me but if I needed to defend myelf he would have gotten a good wack in the head.

He did later on push too far by attacking my grandson. I gave him permission to bet out his BB gun and defend himself. He did and we had rooster for supper.

We have 2 technics. I have a small kids rake which I just push them with it prongs down, untill they backed down. (needless to say those roo ended up in the freezer they counldnt get it)
With the giant jersey roo my boyfriend chases him around the yard until "T" summits. Its funny to watch but it worked for him because the roo is docile towards him now.

wow, I cannot believe you kicked a roo hard enough to kill him. He was just following his instincts....so yeah, it kind of is normal behavior for him to try and protect his flock and his area. My roo used to charge my pregnant mom and she got a broomstick to ward him off and it worked fine...she didn't have to kill him. Maybe you shouldn't be taking care of or near chickens. This makes me feel so sad for that poor rooster
hit.gif

I deal with animals the way animals deal with each other. Roos like to attack and then the most dominate roo will win the 'fight'. I am the dominant one here at my house. If something attacks me, it will be kicked/attacked right back...followed by chopping its head off and having fried chicken for supper
wink.png

This wasn't your roo though. If you had to defend yourself from a rooster attacking you...I don't see a problem with that but you might want to go explain it all to the boss
smile.png
You boss would be liable for any injuries you had from the roo....but I think you took care of the problem
wink.png
...I would've done the same thing you did!!!

Last edited:
I don't think it was a good idea to kill the rooster, and I am sure you probably were just so shaken that you kicked harder then you realized, especially since he belonged to someone else. I have heard of a child almost dying from a rooster attack to the neck. I believe the rooster was just trying to protect his herd, but you also have to protect your self. I was spurred by my rooster a month ago and have just now gotten off of very strong antibiotics, my arm is still a little swollen(when it happened my arm was swollen twice the size it usually is). My Dr says that I have a lot of damage inside of my arm that will take a long time to heal. My rooster is still alive although I am saddened because he killed my favorite roo a couple of days ago. Now when I go to the barn I have a small broom or rake with me, and I usually stomp my feet and wave my arms at him to keep him at a distance from me. As long as he doesn't try to attack me again(my fault!!!) I will keep him, we have a lot of coyotes around here so I need him for now. I hope you don't get fired, but I wouldn't kick any more there are too many other ways to keep them away from you, besides I think violence begets violence. Good luck!

Mine comes charging across the yard when I drive up in the truck, but he only occasionally jumps up at me. Usually I try to beat him to the punch and move towards him first, so he gets the message and backs off.
IF he jumps up at me (as if he had spurs, lol) then I just bump him with my leg and once he's on the ground I again crowd in on his space until he backs off. We actually get along pretty well, so long as I make sure and push him around a bit before I go in for the eggs. He's pretty polite to the ladies, shares food, and sounds the alarm when there's trouble, so I'm willing to work with him. I'm the boss around here, all the critters know it, but the roo needs reminding most often.

The mean rooster, that I sent to freezer camp, would casually walk up to me, and BITE me for no reason at all --- besides running up and pecking my legs and jumping at me and all the "normal" rooster stuff. I still had marks on my arm and hand from his bites for a few days after he was on ice!

Back
Top Bottom