1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RSL in bad shape...input pls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknhawaii, Sep 21, 2011.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I know I have very little info below but I need to hear opinions and input, maybe someone's got an idea...

1) What type of bird , age and weight. RSL, 2 yrs and 4 months old - just started molting about a week ago.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lying on dirt in coop as if she were roosting but more limp than "up" if that makes any sense. Her head was down on the dirt, eyes closed, making short staccato chirp sound. Her eyes are actually bloodshot, comb is limp but still bright red as usual.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? No idea...at max, 5 hours.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no clue. [​IMG]

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Her normal diet consists of dual-purpose feed twice a day and whatever she can get free-ranging plus whatever ventures into her coop. Water is available at all times. She's always been on the thin side. I don't feed her, another family member does but hasn't said anything about her not eating. I think she feels thinner than usual but don't know if it's just b/c she didn't eat today or since last night.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal, firm.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Brought her in the house, keeping her warm, using a syringe to get a little bit of water in her now and then. She seems to gasp a little afterwards, don't know if it's the swallowing effort or...worse. [​IMG]

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I am at a complete loss. I don't know any vet that could treat a chicken.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. n/a

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Tallulah lives outdoors in a dirt area with makeshift chain link fencing. She and Sienna have shade and shelter from wind/rain.

2. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm not sure about wahts going on, but you should give her some yogurt, or vitamins, or pedialyte for energy to keep her going. It will give heer the best chance of surviving whatevers ailing her. Definitely sounds like somethings up.someone else can offer advice about what it might be. Start the yogurt ASAP. I'm not sure about the chirping, but they do lay in funny positions when they dirt bathe.

3. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    TY for your response. She made it through the night, was kinda active this morning but passed by noon. [​IMG]

4. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I'm so sorry.

5. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    TY Heather, I appreciate it...we miss her much.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Aw, so sorry. I was just going to say I wonder if she was eggbound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by