Rub-A-Dub-Dub, 12 hens in their new tub!

Baumshell28

Songster
Apr 16, 2020
Gonzales (Baton Rouge), Louisiana
So, as the girls have been growing, so have their dust bath tubs...paint roller tray in the brooder, cement mixing tub in the coop. Now that they’ve hit the 16 week mark and I’m confident that they don’t have much, if any, actual “growing” to do, I decided it was time for me to give them a “real” non-portable dust bathing area. Since we built the run, I’ve noticed they spend most of their time in a back corner of the run behind the coop. Not sure why it’s their favorite spot since my whole back yard, including chicken coop & run, is extremely well shaded by two huge old towering oaks...but it is. Anyways, I decided that since this area also contained the most chicken-dug holes, that’s where I would place the designated “Bathing Area”. Although, I’m sure, I will still find other bathing holes dug out randomly as they see fit throughout the run.
All 12 girls took foreman & supervisory roles as I worked yesterday, and they seemed to approve. As early as 1/2 way thru digging & placing the edgers, the girls settled in (and ON) the bathing border to ‘help’, nap & demonstrate their bathing abilities. Silly girls! Once I added 50 lbs of pebbles, 100 lbs of sand, and mixed in some wood ash & DE, they were very excited to demonstrate their fondness for the new spa!
*Some time this week, I plan to add one more bag of pebbles and at least 100 more pounds of sand*
*I would also like to weatherize this area with at least 2 walls and a roof to keep out as much rain as possible, but it’ll take me a while to figure out how to best go about that structure*

Attachments

• BC7890FD-BCF2-4499-8510-93588D3AC116.jpeg
    BC7890FD-BCF2-4499-8510-93588D3AC116.jpeg
    705.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 07417685-305A-433A-90BE-C081742718D8.jpeg
    07417685-305A-433A-90BE-C081742718D8.jpeg
    689.5 KB · Views: 24
  • B71E2FD1-7769-4480-91B8-775C8FA2FF2F.jpeg
    B71E2FD1-7769-4480-91B8-775C8FA2FF2F.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 7FE2E2D8-73B6-44E9-9DBB-F873555D181E.jpeg
    7FE2E2D8-73B6-44E9-9DBB-F873555D181E.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 9847E9C0-32A4-4404-BC12-B494E3D4978F.jpeg
    9847E9C0-32A4-4404-BC12-B494E3D4978F.jpeg
    725.9 KB · Views: 20
So, as the girls have been growing, so have their dust bath tubs...paint roller tray in the brooder, cement mixing tub in the coop. Now that they’ve hit the 16 week mark and I’m confident that they don’t have much, if any, actual “growing” to do, I decided it was time for me to give them a “real” non-portable dust bathing area. Since we built the run, I’ve noticed they spend most of their time in a back corner of the run behind the coop. Not sure why it’s their favorite spot since my whole back yard, including chicken coop & run, is extremely well shaded by two huge old towering oaks...but it is. Anyways, I decided that since this area also contained the most chicken-dug holes, that’s where I would place the designated “Bathing Area”. Although, I’m sure, I will still find other bathing holes dug out randomly as they see fit throughout the run.
All 12 girls took foreman & supervisory roles as I worked yesterday, and they seemed to approve. As early as 1/2 way thru digging & placing the edgers, the girls settled in (and ON) the bathing border to ‘help’, nap & demonstrate their bathing abilities. Silly girls! Once I added 50 lbs of pebbles, 100 lbs of sand, and mixed in some wood ash & DE, they were very excited to demonstrate their fondness for the new spa!
*Some time this week, I plan to add one more bag of pebbles and at least 100 more pounds of sand*
*I would also like to weatherize this area with at least 2 walls and a roof to keep out as much rain as possible, but it’ll take me a while to figure out how to best go about that structure*
I love that!
How are you so lucky to get all girls? :tongue :he

I was lucky enough to get to TSC right after the chicks were put out, before they were able to be returned to the wrong bin, etc. I dealt with a sales person that was educated enough to listen when I told him “NO Roosters” and then be able to point out and explain the Red Sex Link & Barred Rock breeds. Not to mention, God...he tends to look out for me & my “First time chicken owner feeble mindedness”! I am weak, but HE is strong! Pahahaha!

Nice!

Why pebbles?
Honestly, I don’t have any particular reason. Fleeting random thoughts made me think they would probably be a good for drainage & help deter standing water (not sure how logical or true that actually is). Sand aeration (again not sure if that makes sense). Take up a bit of space for a little less sand usage. And my OCD brain likes the more natural earthy look...more beachy & less like a kids sand box.
Do you think I should’ve left them out? And should I avoid adding the other 50 lb bag of them in favor of an extra 50 or 100 lbs of sand? You know I love it @aart when you share your wisdom and I don’t have to waste anymore of my struggling ADHD strained brain cells, lol! How do you think I should approach a 2, maybe 3 walled shelter with a roof? I want it as “open concept” as I can get it, while still keeping it as protected as possible from the rain...

I have had several designated bathing stations and every time them choose a different location.
I filled in all the other bathing holes the day I made their spa corner. I really didn’t expect them to do ALL their dust bathing in it...I mean they are chickens, they’ll do it in a spot they like; or one they like better. That would’ve been fine with me too, but I haven’t found any new bathing holes since! Seems like I hit the jackpot! Of course I did take some cues from them in the first place...that’s where they spend a lot of their time and that’s where I found their bathing holes the most. Win, haha!

Back
Top Bottom