rubber eggs after a molt?

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
One of my almost 2 yr old easter egger hens just got done with a 4 month molt and started laying again yesterday. Her first egg after the molt looked totally normal. It was large, green with a nice hard shell. Today I went to see if she had layed any eggs and there was a strange rubber like egg sitting in the nest box. It was a normal looking egg..but with a rubber shell. Like the shell coating was just skipped. It actually feels pretty cool! lol Is this normal after a molt? She has never had these eggs before. And are they safe to eat? I stuck it in the fridge...

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas
occasionally, a chicken will have a "mis-fire", and lay one without a shell. Most people feed them back to their girls. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts occuring regularly

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
Thank you! I have had chickens now for 5 years and this has never happened. You learn something new everyday!

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
Okay, she laid another rubber egg today. This time it was broken and part of the shell had a long pink piece of meat-like stuff on it. Very gross...I'm kind of starting to worry now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom