rubber eggs after a molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    One of my almost 2 yr old easter egger hens just got done with a 4 month molt and started laying again yesterday. Her first egg after the molt looked totally normal. It was large, green with a nice hard shell. Today I went to see if she had layed any eggs and there was a strange rubber like egg sitting in the nest box. It was a normal looking egg..but with a rubber shell. Like the shell coating was just skipped. It actually feels pretty cool! lol Is this normal after a molt? She has never had these eggs before. And are they safe to eat? I stuck it in the fridge...

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    occasionally, a chicken will have a "mis-fire", and lay one without a shell. Most people feed them back to their girls. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts occuring regularly [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2 Just a glitch in the assembly line starting back up.

4. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Thank you! I have had chickens now for 5 years and this has never happened. You learn something new everyday!

5. julianblight101

julianblight101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    Quote:good for you ! Good luck for racing chickens..

6. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Okay, she laid another rubber egg today. This time it was broken and part of the shell had a long pink piece of meat-like stuff on it. Very gross...I'm kind of starting to worry now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by