1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rubbermaid tot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hawgon, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    How long can I keep 7 chicks in a 106qt rubbermaid tub? Plan on getting them in spring a afraid it will be to small to quickly. We are getting silkies, ameracauna's and sex links. Thanks

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I use the 66qt (I think) and it's good for 6-10 chicks for about a week, depending on bantam, or LF.
    After that, I just use 2 next to each other, and keep the heat lamp in the middle of the two.
    I'm not sure of the dimensions of yours.

3. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    That should be big enough for a few weeks. I did the same thing with 27 chicks for 4 weeks. It is a close living situation and you have to be very careful. I changed their litter twice a day. You have to be very specific with where the food and water are located so it is not too hot nor cold. Also you must realize that with a container like that, anything that is spilt remains right at their feet, food and water. A spilled water container is a real mess and needs to be cleaned quickly.

I will be raising my next batch of chicks in a wire pen, outside with a tarp over teh top and down the sides. Each day I will simply move it a few feet and whala their bedding is basically changed. I live in Florida so the cool nights are not generally an issue. :)

Just watch the girls and if you see any signs of stress or excessive fighting, move them to a bigger box. Good luck.

4. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks, I will go with tub for now and maybe build bigger if I aquire some wood and materials after building coop. I will keep an eye on cleanliness though.

5. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    You can always switch to a XL wire dog crate when they get bigger with a heat lamp of course. You can also connect two together for extra space. You can pick them up for pretty cheap on craigslist

6. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Decided to make a brooder box myself from one I saw on the coops and brooders page here on the BYC website. I will try to post pics when done but figured I could use it for a green house or ? when we dont have chickes in it.....

7. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    Quote:Looking forward to pics and details, I have been thinking about the same thing recently. I moved mine from a plastic container to a wire dog crate because the floor of the crate comes out easily for cleaning - but I had to wait until they were big enough that they couldn't just slip through the spaces between the cage bars, which was at about 3 weeks. I only have 2 in there right now, though.

8. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Quote:Looking forward to pics and details, I have been thinking about the same thing recently. I moved mine from a plastic container to a wire dog crate because the floor of the crate comes out easily for cleaning - but I had to wait until they were big enough that they couldn't just slip through the spaces between the cage bars, which was at about 3 weeks. I only have 2 in there right now, though.

I used an XL wire dog crate, just zip tied some hardware cloth around the whole thing and zip tied cardboard inside the interior about 4-5 inches up. That kept them and their shavings inside. Worked great!

9. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC

I used an XL wire dog crate, just zip tied some hardware cloth around the whole thing and zip tied cardboard inside the interior about 4-5 inches up. That kept them and their shavings inside. Worked great!

Zip-tied cardboard - you just solved a very challenging problem for me with such a simple solution. I have been setting the cage onto a sheet and tying 4 knots in the 4 corners to keep it in place. It makes it quite difficult to change the water every day but I was so tired of all the shavings going everywhere! I know what I'm doing tonight.

10. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yup...easy peasy. And easily changed out if it gets dirty. Though mine never really did. The one that took the most abuse and had to be replaced a couple of times was the piece on the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by