Rubbery Chicken??

daeichler

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Hello! We raised some cornish rock cross birds this past fall...butchered them in early November...and have them stored in our deep freeze. I have made several of them by either roasting them or making them in a stew (actually, chicken paprikash). They taste a little rubbery, and I am wondering if there is a difference one needs to be mindful of when cooking backyard-raised birds instead of regular store-purchased birds.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

David

The texture will be a bit different than store bought birds.... firmer - not something I would call rubbery tho.... the mantra is 'low and slow'. Roast at low heat so it cooks slower.....

Unless your birds were very old, they should not be stringy and rubbery.

I, unfortunately, am allergic to chicken so I cannot actually describe its texture. My wife described it as rubbery and chewy - but 'stringy' was not an adjective she used. I'll try cooking the next one 'low and slow' and see if that makes any difference. The birds were 9 weeks old when processed, which I do not think was 'too old' -- but (given the breed) correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks,

David

The texture of a home grown bird is very different from the mushy meat of a commercially raised chicken.

Home grown chickens need time to age, for the to relax and begin to soften.

The chicken should be thawed and allowed to rest in the refrigerator 24 - 48 hours before cooking.

They are even better is you brine them during their resting stage. A little salt, a little sugar, icey cold water, let them soak in the fridge 24 - 48 hours.

They will be delicious.

Their texture will change a little but it will not be the same as a commercial chicken that was salt and preservative injected and is at least a week old by the time it hits the grocer's meat case.

Your 9 week old broilers should be fabulous.

Allergic to chicken! Ooooh.... you poor Dear!

No... 9 weeks is not too old by any stretch of the imagination.
smile.png
Let us know how you make out on your next bird.

The other trick of the trade is to let them 'age' before plopping them in the freezer. After processing and wrapping, refridgerate the chicken for a few days, then freeze. Some folks brine the carcasses while aging - I personally do not. Aging allows the carcass to 'relax'.

Edited to add: Miss Prissy was telling you the same thing at the same time
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom