Rubbery egg within thin, large shell

RCL

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
Edit to Update- it was laid by our newest layer so I’m not concerned. Excited to see her eggs changing and growing from tiny pullet eggs to real mama hen eggs :)

Original thread: Is this cause for concern? I found a weird egg this morning. It’s a very large thin shelled egg with what almost seems like a soft boiled egg inside! See pics attached; shell has been separated from yolk (or whatever the heck that is).

When I cut into the rubbery egg it squirted out yolk. Once the goo was cleaned off, the exterior feels like the inner lining of a hard boiled egg.

We did have another thin shelled broken egg in the nesting box yesterday, but it didn’t have the thick rubbery egg/yolk inside the shell like this one.
136C6BC9-CAFF-4F7C-8A29-E381BD73124E.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
New layers will lay some weird eggs before they can get it right.
What do you feed your chickens?
What extra calcium do you give to them?
@Eggcessive
I just went out and our new layer is in the nesting box, so the weird egg is not her egg. *edited a few hours later: she didn’t lay anything when she was in the nesting box, so it could be hers!

The chickens have Nutrena layer feed available in their coop, but they mostly free range throughout the day. For treats we give them greens from the garden (broccoli leaves, arugula, etc) and dried meal worms. We haven’t given them extra calcium but will look into it!

Last edited:
I agree with providing some extra calcium (crushed oyster shell and whatever crushed shells you can save in a separate container to take as they like.) If the new layer is laying those, it is not terribly concerning, but it can happen with established layers when they begin to have a reproductive disorder or problem with their shell gland, stress, or other causes.

Back
Top Bottom