Rubbery shells

Grammieshens

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2018
One of my girls has laid rubbery shelled eggs for the past week. Odd thing, until today she has been laying them from the roost instead of in the nesting box. Today she used the nesting box. She gets the same food and free range time as the rest. Why the change? She is a year old. Anything I should do beside offer oyster shells? I am worried about her.

One of my girls has laid rubbery shelled eggs for the past week. Odd thing, until today she has been laying them from the roost instead of in the nesting box. Today she used the nesting box. She gets the same food and free range time as the rest. Why the change? She is a year old. Anything I should do beside offer oyster shells? I am worried about her.

I would get human calcium with vitamin D. Break the tablet in half and crush it into a powder then mix it with a little yogurt or some other wet treat she likes and give her 1/2 of a calcium with vit D tablet daily for at least a week.
Is she stressed at all? Any recent changes to her environment?

Thank you, I will try this. I'm not sure what is going on. I moved her, another hen and a lame rooster to a new run and coop about a month ago. I also went out of town around the same time. She gets along well with these two chickens. Since I've returned from vacation, she and the rooster tend to stay in the run when I open it for free range time. Not sure what is going on...She hasn't laid an egg in three days... She seemed to be broody for several days, but didn't seem so today. She also isn't growing feathers back since I removed a saddle from her over a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom