Ruby MaCaw baby questions?

djennings

Songster
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Sabine Pass, TX.
We have a ruby macaw baby that hatched 3 days ago. I know you are suppose to leave with mom and dad until their eyes open. Can you leave them in with them a little longer or should I take out when eyes open? What do they eat if mom is not feeding them.

Quote:
You don't "need" to remove the baby unless the parents aren't feeding it. People often remove babies for hand-feeding to get the birds used to people from an early age, but it's not entirely necessary. If the parents are willing to allow it, co-parenting is another option, giving the best of both worlds.

There are many hand-feeding formulas out there for baby parrots. You should look for one that is labeled for macaws, since they have a higher fat requirement than many other species.

I do feel the need to ask, however, why you are asking about this now instead of researching before you decided to breed. I don't mean this as an attack, but raising a baby parrot isn't something easily done with last-minute preparation. It's much harder than raising baby chickens and other poultry. Please do some serious research into macaws, breeding and hand-rearing ASAP.

smile.png

Quote:
You don't "need" to remove the baby unless the parents aren't feeding it. People often remove babies for hand-feeding to get the birds used to people from an early age, but it's not entirely necessary. If the parents are willing to allow it, co-parenting is another option, giving the best of both worlds.

There are many hand-feeding formulas out there for baby parrots. You should look for one that is labeled for macaws, since they have a higher fat requirement than many other species.

I do feel the need to ask, however, why you are asking about this now instead of researching before you decided to breed. I don't mean this as an attack, but raising a baby parrot isn't something easily done with last-minute preparation. It's much harder than raising baby chickens and other poultry. Please do some serious research into macaws, breeding and hand-rearing ASAP.

smile.png

x2
hmm.png

Oh, one more thing -- please realize that to make a Ruby macaw, you are breeding a Scarlet with a Greenwing -- two species which are currently under Appendix I of CITES, and aren't exactly secure in their wild habitat. Do we really need to be confusing the captive genepool by breeding together two different species that are already vaguely similar in appearance?

I pull my babies at 3 weeks. If your hen won't feed the baby, you are going to have a LOT of work. And don't be alarmed if you THINK it isn't being fed, the crops are very small in just hatched parrots.
Is it her first clutch, or has she had others?
And you may want to pick up hand-feeding formula, a little hard to find, depending where you are, I use Kaytee, there are 2 kinds, the macaw formula.
But if this is an emergency, anything will do. Remember mama will puke up whatever she has been eating, so you can make a mash of that.
You are welcome to PM me if you run into any problems, but I will be at a show Sat, 10/22 with my chickens, so I won't be able to answer any emergencies then.
Roberta

Thanks everyone for the great advice. These actually are not my birds. I am helping out my DH cousin in housing them for him until they sale their house and move into something else. Very messy birds. LOL. I have had them for probably 4 or 5 months now. She has had hatches before. If I could leave with mom and dad for a little longer than two weeks, that is great. I do have someone who will feed and love on him/her when I am at work. Mom and Dad are not the friendly type at all. Mom is bigger than the dad. He told me if I kept them for him I could have two babies. I do not think I will keep it unless hubby gets attached to it.

OK, If she is experienced, the best thing to do is leave her alone. Let the owners know they hatched, just in case they did anything differently, and try not to bother the hen. Sometimes, if they see a threat, she may eat the babies. RARE, but may happen.
My eclectus start to get a little big for mama at 3-4 weeks, but they should be just fine.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom