Ruby - possible unwell. Again.

Pics

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Hi folks,
Many of you know that Ruby had a host of health problems last year... doughy, somewhat pendulous crop, unidentified “mass” (per avian vet) near/in/around (unsure) her oviduct and swelling in her abdomen. Crop treatment and later, heavy duty antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and hormone implant got her back to feeling well last year. She had a loooong, slow molt, and only got her laying hormones back recently. She eats, forages, preens, vocalizes and poops normally, and her crop has been emptying normally. Lately, she’s been back to being “Adventure Girl!” I even think she laid two eggs.

Well, the last couple days she’s had a slight sneeze. She has often sneezed in the past when she eats grass (like it might get stuck in her throat a little) in the past, so I wasn’t sure. Yesterday she was in the best box, but didn’t produce anything, as far as I can tell. Today when she was dust bathing in the sun, I thought her breathing looked a bit labored, and then I found her in the run by herself with her tail down during free range time. I felt her over and all feels good except her abdomen does feel slightly fluidy and she sounds a little “clicky” when she breathes. Dang it! :he She’s back out in the yard being busy since I disturbed her.

I knew last summer her long term prognosis was probably not good. Now I need to decide what to do with this little angel. Treat symptoms? Get another hormone implant? (I love her personality OFF the hormones better). Put her down before she feels horrible? (We’re not there yet). I’m leaning toward seeing an avian vet next week and getting an implant. Maybe then next year she’ll stop laying on her own, if we’re lucky. Antibiotics may or may not be in order at this point. Wishing I had ordered Lily of the Dessert Aloe Detox earlier, since it’s not available on Prime (at least, not last time I checked).

I think I know where things stand. Just looking for moral support, I guess, though suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Hey friend @micstrachan im so sorry :hugs i know these are pets things and you've put so much money into her health :hugs poor Ruby :hugs i hope she gets right soon. Im sorry i also do not have anything except support in this case. My birds are not pets and i wouldnt know how to proceed anymore than you do. I hope other smarter people find you soon and have some sort of idea of how to help.

Hi folks,
Many of you know that Ruby had a host of health problems last year... doughy, somewhat pendulous crop, unidentified “mass” (per avian vet) near/in/around (unsure) her oviduct and swelling in her abdomen. Crop treatment and later, heavy duty antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and hormone implant got her back to feeling well last year. She had a loooong, slow molt, and only got her laying hormones back recently. She eats, forages, preens, vocalizes and poops normally, and her crop has been emptying normally. Lately, she’s been back to being “Adventure Girl!” I even think she laid two eggs.

Well, the last couple days she’s had a slight sneeze. She has often sneezed in the past when she eats grass (like it might get stuck in her throat a little) in the past, so I wasn’t sure. Yesterday she was in the best box, but didn’t produce anything, as far as I can tell. Today when she was dust bathing in the sun, I thought her breathing looked a bit labored, and then I found her in the run by herself with her tail down during free range time. I felt her over and all feels good except her abdomen does feel slightly fluidy and she sounds a little “clicky” when she breathes. Dang it! :he She’s back out in the yard being busy since I disturbed her.

I knew last summer her long term prognosis was probably not good. Now I need to decide what to do with this little angel. Treat symptoms? Get another hormone implant? (I love her personality OFF the hormones better). Put her down before she feels horrible? (We’re not there yet). I’m leaning toward seeing an avian vet next week and getting an implant. Maybe then next year she’ll stop laying on her own, if we’re lucky. Antibiotics may or may not be in order at this point. Wishing I had ordered Lily of the Dessert Aloe Detox earlier, since it’s not available on Prime (at least, not last time I checked).

I think I know where things stand. Just looking for moral support, I guess, though suggestions are welcome.
You've done an awful lot for her. If you can, take her to a vet and see what they say.
Hopefully your vet is honest. It's been a great thing about my vet; she will tell me "I can fix her but she's not going to last."
Then you have to make the right decision.

Awww what a great chick mom you are...what is the hormone implant for?
Is she pumping her tail because she needs to lay an egg?
The hormone implant shuts her laying down temporarily. Last year it was recommended because her oviduct seemed inflamed and this would give it a break. It worked. However, we don’t know for sure what caused the problem in the first place. It got better with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. The hormones came a few weeks later. Now that her solid comfort and swelling seem to have returned right after she laid two (very narrow) eggs, I’m pretty confident it’s a laying disorder of some kind.

Hi folks,

I hope Ruby feels better!

Back
Top Bottom