ruff bed time tonight

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
holly smokes went out tonight normal time to shut the door to run (which i never did and not going to now) little bit jumped off the purch so i put her back on and she was squacking and making a ruckis and keep jumping down and trying to get back on between cherrio rose and Lilly but they would not budge and neither would phinox now mind you they have a 8 foot long purch but they fight over one foot of it well memory served me right and little bit has always huddleed between 2 of the older girls so i had to move phionox over them move Lilly over pick up little bit put her on the purch then move lilly back closer to her and then phionix put her self next to lilly. i never did acomplish what I went out there for but they should still be fine with the run door open its inclosed no major predators around expecgt maybe a snake but i think there too big for one of those and we are deep in city so i have not seen one in long long long time (as i knock on woor) so not taking a chance of this happeing again. Any one else have to go through this.

I think chickens will be chickens and they were probably working on establishing their pecking order. I think it is pretty normal for them to squabble over the favorite perching spot and as long as nobody is getting hurt I would just leave them be. They will work things out on their own for sure.

they normal do but last night was my fault she lost her spot next to cherrio Rose she always sleeps with her and some times under her wings Little bit is abotu a week younger then the rest and i may be adding human emtions on where there not but my 3 older girls have seem to always take care of her esp cherrio rose they have always keep her warm and cuddled with her and other then meal worms they always moved to make room for her to eat its like they take care of her. so last night was my fault she lost her spot next to her best frined so i had to fix it and then they were all happy again.

little bit is the one in the middle this is how she loves to sleep cherrio is the buff next to her and see the wing she seems to always be tucked up under her

Last edited:
That picture is really sweet!

We had the same thing happen for the first two nights after I put in a longer perch. You would think that getting more space would have lowered the amount of pre 'bed time' drama, but no...it's been four night now and two of the chickens are still trying to get the spot right next to the left side wall...and so far they both end up giving up and sleeping together on the floor.

Yesterday was our son's Bar Mitzvah and do to 24 hours of heavy duty festivities we didn't get the chicks in till just past dark. It was cool out and I found the piled up in the corner of the run...Although they got plenty of treats and attention form all out guests I felt a little guilty for neglecting them. But, on the plus side, it was easier that usual to move them into their little house for the night since they let s scoop them up instead of making us herd them in

Last edited:
ya i was shocked my phonix hates being man handled or petted or touched at all but last night did not put up a figh on me picking her up and moving her over i was shocked but as soon and lilly got put back into place she schooted herself into place i guess not to let me touch her again :}

Back
Top Bottom