Rumpless Cochin??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I got this little cutie from a friend recently. She got all her birds from me as chicks and i just cant place this guy...i am thinking he might be one i got from a breeder/show person...

Orig. i thought he was just a Bantam Cochin, but after taking a better look I am wondering if he is a Rumpless Araucana/Cochin mix? His butt feathers are also very silky feeiling...& She also breeds Silkies. She lets them all run together in the yard when she's not breeding or whatever. Usually she has them seperated.

I know she had both these breeds for showing and sometimes gives me her extra chicks, shes never really sure what they are, mixed or pure.

what do you all think?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    Im not sur... but it resembles a white wyandotte bantam

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Except it has a single comb... Don't Wyandottes have pea combs

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    LOL I just posted almost the same question about an Orp in the breeds forum [​IMG]
    He's cute- but his butt should be higher. I think if he had silkie in him he's still have some cushion. Hmmmmm.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Wyandottes have rose combs.

I don't think it is rumpless. Just looks like a poor cushion to me.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    He is a cochin, and not rumpless. The tail is supposed to be round.

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    Quote:I didn't pay attention to the comb... I was looking at a pic of a wyandottes pic that lookied kind of like him/her

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Well here's the only problem i have with him being pure cochin...

the breeder's Bantam Cochins are ENORMOUS all over! I mean they're bantam size but perfectly round & poofier than any i have ever seen. If he is purebred cochin he would be Much bigger i think.

I found her e mail and just sent a few pictures of to her.

just the way that his rump falls reminds me a lot of the rjmpless araucanas, but i could be wrong..

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:My banty cochin adults are huge in comparison to some of the POL ones that I got from breeders. I think it's going to be a long while- before they catch up to the older ones. LF aren't full grown until they're over a year!

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here's a pic of a Silkie/Cochin mix hen i got from the same lady...see the size/cushion difference? also the leg feathering. Theyre about the same age i believe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by