Run area bare...?

Our soil is bare and hard like concrete after so many years of chicken feet compacting it! I learned I can use a small electric tiller to churn up the soil to make it diggable again. The girls love playing in the soft soil. I also fill a suet cage with greens and hang it for them to peck at. During the winter, I give them a large flock block. As for free ranging, some people make chicken tractors they move around the yard to fresh grass. Others create a free range area out of portable fencing. My girls roam our backyard freely a few hours each day under supervision, but it is only about 1/8 ac.. I've trained them to come back to the run when I shake the treat can but there is always one who is reluctant to return. Especially now that they are molting and have attitude!!!

Haha!!! 😆 yes we sure were thinking the same kinda way! We had a dachshund years ago who loved the hens, never bothered them BUT she would steal the eggs out of the coop for lunch lol. My father in law took a huge liking to the dog and recently lost his wife so we gave him our Doxie for company. Now we have a pug, she thinks the hens are play toys so she is not allowed in the run lol.
Nice chatting with you too! I’m off to hit the sack as well 😴
How nice of you to share your beloved Dachshund! I had three and lost two this last year or so...now only one is left, Winton. He is a long-hair and the best of the three. He is 12 years old, getting deaf and can't see too well. But healthy.

Attachments

• winston.jpg
    winston.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 0
Our soil is bare and hard like concrete after so many years of chicken feet compacting it! I learned I can use a small electric tiller to churn up the soil to make it diggable again. The girls love playing in the soft soil. I also fill a suet cage with greens and hang it for them to peck at. During the winter, I give them a large flock block. As for free ranging, some people make chicken tractors they move around the yard to fresh grass. Others create a free range area out of portable fencing. My girls roam our backyard freely a few hours each day under supervision, but it is only about 1/8 ac.. I've trained them to come back to the run when I shake the treat can but there is always one who is reluctant to return. Especially now that they are molting and have attitude!!!
That is a good idea to till the soil - I have an old one I can try to get to work again! My girls don't especially like greens right now but I will keep putting it out, what is a flock block? I have seen the tractors and I do have a portable fence....another great idea! Thanks for the tips! You rock!

That is a good idea to till the soil - I have an old one I can try to get to work again! My girls don't especially like greens right now but I will keep putting it out, what is a flock block? I have seen the tractors and I do have a portable fence....another great idea! Thanks for the tips! You rock!
Flock blocks are just big blocks of corn, black oil sunflower seed, grains etc. I buy mine at Tractor Supply and offer during really cold, snowy spells when they are stuck in the run..Pecking at the block keeps them from pecking each other!

Back
Top Bottom