1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run away chicken:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken420, May 21, 2017.

1. chicken420

chicken420 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    Northern va
    I have a chicken that keep wondering way too far lately our alpha hen just passed away at the age of 4 and then the land lord took one out of the flock to a differnt location leaving 3 left.. there hasnt been any animal attacks.. this chicken spent the whole night somewhere and is still missing any suggestions its almost as if shes suicidal

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Predators can and do take chickens without ever being seen. If you live in the city, it could be a person took her. If they are used to their coop, they would want come back to roost at night.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You may need to "home" her back to the coop again. ....do you have a run that can be used to keep everyone at home for a week or so?
    It is also possible she's preparing to go broody

4. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Could she be up in a tree somewhere at night? If shes not around during the day she's either broody or maybe something took her when she's out wandering. I had a hen that went missing and i found her by following poops tnat I discovered in places where my hens never went, eventually I found her about 50 metres away from the coop in a nest she'd made with 8 eggs and was broody!

5. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Could she be up in a tree somewhere at night? If shes not around during the day she's either broody or maybe something took her when she's out wandering. I had a hen that went missing and i found her by following poops tnat I discovered in places where my hens never went, eventually I found her about 50 metres away from the coop in a nest she'd made with 8 eggs and was broody!

6. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    If she returns you might try locking her in the coop for a week and let her get re-accustomed to the idea that the coop is where she roosts. My hens will disappear when they are broody only to return in three weeks with a brood of chicks.

7. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    I use a food call to tell them when i have treats. It can be anything you want, from a song to a bell, but I thought it would be useful if they were lost to call them back. if you want them to come running when you call, don't use it for things like some clover, but for something like a big bowl of salad gone yucky, or some meat. Something really, really great that they love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by