Run away duck

Crazy Chicken Lady10

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2020
Today I brought home a new adult female Indian Runner duck. As I was trying to let her in our coop with our other female duck, she escaped and ran into our woods A after chasing around our duck. When I tried to stop her, she ran further until she was out of sight. I tried looking for her but she was gone. I have been trying to play duck calls to get her back but have had no luck. At one point I thought I heard her quacking but she was no where in sight. It has been almost an hour now. Luckily it’s the middle of the day and not night time. Will she know how to get back?

She has no idea where home is you need a posse. That way you can surround her an someone can grab her before a predator does. And put her in another place when you get her home most likey your ducks are not going to look kindly on an intruder. They need time to get to know her and her them.

right now her internal gps is set to wherever she came from. She will need to be found and "trained " to a new home for her. IMHO I have no personal experience just what I"ve been reading in preparation to getting ducks of my own.

Thank you all for the advice, luckily this story does have a happy ending :) After looking very deep in our woods, we started to lose hope. We stayed on our patio a little longer until the sun set. Our other duck, Bella, stayed up late calling for her until we had to lock up the coop. We left the barn light on as well as our back porch light for her. Shortly after we gave up and went inside, she appeared at the edge of our woods! She slowly started towards our barn but then turned around and headed back to our woods. I ran outside and cut her off. I was able to chase her to our barn where we sat with her for a while. She is keeping her distance from Bella but seems to be happy. I have one of those tractor coop things that you can wheel around and are bottomless so they can feel the grass and am going to put her in it tomorrow so she can get used to things around here before completely free ranging😃

Thank you all for the advice, luckily this story does have a happy ending :) After looking very deep in our woods, we started to lose hope. We stayed on our patio a little longer until the sun set. Our other duck, Bella, stayed up late calling for her until we had to lock up the coop. We left the barn light on as well as our back porch light for her. Shortly after we gave up and went inside, she appeared at the edge of our woods! She slowly started towards our barn but then turned around and headed back to our woods. I ran outside and cut her off. I was able to chase her to our barn where we sat with her for a while. She is keeping her distance from Bella but seems to be happy. I have one of those tractor coop things that you can wheel around and are bottomless so they can feel the grass and am going to put her in it tomorrow so she can get used to things around here before completely free ranging😃
YEAH!!!

Back
Top Bottom