kgm2431

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Any recommendations on what to put on the bottom of the run with winter approaching. Wood chips, hay,straw,pine shavings?
Thanks

black_cat

Free Ranging
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have my run semi deep litter with dirt, mulchy woodsy leaf litter stuff, dirty shavings that I've pushed out of the coop and into the run, and chicken poop.

3KillerBs

Crowing
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
Where are you located?

Is your run roofed? Will snow or heavy rains be a concern?

In my mild, wet winters I used the exact same bedding I had for warm weather, but added a couple intact straw bales to give the birds places to sit up out of the wet during periods of extended wet weather.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
Where are you located?

In my mild, wet winters I used the exact same bedding I had for warm weather, but added a couple intact straw bales to give the birds places to sit up out of the wet during periods of extended wet weather.
X2

Often wood chips work best

Weeg

Crowing
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Washington
DO you have ducks or chickens? For ducks, I highly suggest a hardwood mulch of rit is of t on there feet. Plus is has a good hot dup against winter elements. I would use this of rchcikesn too, but dirt, or wood chips is good of chickens, just if you have ducks, make sur you have no hard ground, for it can cause bumble foot. Good luck, Avery

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
I have my run semi deep litter with dirt, mulchy woodsy leaf litter stuff, dirty shavings that I've pushed out of the coop and into the run, and chicken poop.
But you haven't been thru a winter yet. ;)

Where are you located?

Same here.....but already have roosts and a bench to get up off the snow.

Good questions form @3KillerBs .
Pics of your run and a flock roster would help too.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600721271114.png

NatJ

Crowing
Mar 20, 2017
USA
Any recommendations on what to put on the bottom of the run with winter approaching. Wood chips, hay,straw,pine shavings?
You don't have to choose just one kind. A mixture of whatever is readily available to you is often the best choice.

Dry leaves are often easy to get in the fall, and they make a good addition as well.

Top Bottom