Run bedding??

babychickfarmer

Songster
12 Years
What does everyone have int eh run of thier coop. Ours is uncovered and my boss insists on putting hay out there. It rains alot out here so the hay starts to smell and get moldy so I rake it up. It usually will take forever and when I am done and outta of there my boss always goes and puts mopre hay in. Sam ecycle just different days. so that brings me back to my questions. What do yall use for your outside runs.

We have a lot of trees around our run, My DH will get some leaf litter and put down for them, they love it. First they eat all of the bugs out of it then they take baths in it, it is so funny to watch them. They think its a treat

I use pine shavings in the coop and the run. I read on somewhere on this site (I think the diatimaceous earth strand) to avoid using hay in the coop because mites like to hide in the hollows of the straws.

No worries there for mine as far as straw goes. They're never in the coop for more than 10 seconds. Since they roost under the stars the coop is only used for laying eggs.

I use wood chips. I've only had chickens for a few months so I'm not so sure how it will work out in the long run, but so far I love it. We had some dead trees we had chipped so they were free. It's easy to pick the poop out of once a day, and when it rains they don't get gloppy. Doesn't smell, either. I'll add more as they break down.

I just recently took down an above ground pool and of course there is all sand under it. I had read quite a few post on her from people who had sand runs and let me till you it was the best thing I ever did. My pen is on the side of a hill so when it rains all the water runs into it and it always stunk to the high heavens. I tried DE, lime with no good results. Since I had the sand laid there is absolutley no smell at all and it is easy to clean and I also find I do not have to clean it as often. Best thing I ever did for my situation and it also drains well. There used to be a swimming hole in it when we had alot of rain. So much better now!

Back
Top Bottom