1. Summerford

Summerford Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Smithville Ms
    My chickens have been scratching the floor of their run a lot. and I'm starting to see openings around the sides. Could I put UN dyed mulch in the run. Its great to soak up extra water. I'm curious cause the mulch is cheaper than getting dirt and sand hauled in to fill it up with.

2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Of course you could, but how long do you think it will last?

3. kirghizstan

kirghizstan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    Would it be cheaper to get a big load from a horse stable of manure and hay. They will love it and some places might let you take it for free.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I put an apron around the outside of my run to keep predators from digging in, I also put one inside the run in places to keep them from digging out....and I used logs and bricks on other paces to keep them from digging holes next to the run wall.

[​IMG]

If you have a problem with excess water eroding the dirt out of the run, you might want to apply various solutions to cure the particular water problem that you have.

More info is needed to offer a viable solution.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  5. kirghizstan

kirghizstan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    I'm actually building my run with the bottom completely screened and plan to put a thick layer of horse manure and hay over it to let the chickens play in and compost down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by