Run Bottom

Summerford

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 22, 2014
Smithville Ms
My chickens have been scratching the floor of their run a lot. and I'm starting to see openings around the sides. Could I put UN dyed mulch in the run. Its great to soak up extra water. I'm curious cause the mulch is cheaper than getting dirt and sand hauled in to fill it up with.

Would it be cheaper to get a big load from a horse stable of manure and hay. They will love it and some places might let you take it for free.

My chickens have been scratching the floor of their run a lot. and I'm starting to see openings around the sides. Could I put UN dyed mulch in the run. Its great to soak up extra water. I'm curious cause the mulch is cheaper than getting dirt and sand hauled in to fill it up with.
I put an apron around the outside of my run to keep predators from digging in, I also put one inside the run in places to keep them from digging out....and I used logs and bricks on other paces to keep them from digging holes next to the run wall.

If you have a problem with excess water eroding the dirt out of the run, you might want to apply various solutions to cure the particular water problem that you have.

More info is needed to offer a viable solution.

Last edited:
Would it be cheaper to get a big load from a horse stable of manure and hay. They will love it and some places might let you take it for free.
I'm actually building my run with the bottom completely screened and plan to put a thick layer of horse manure and hay over it to let the chickens play in and compost down.

Back
Top Bottom