Run construction and maintenance

Attachments

• 20210702_150813.jpg
    20210702_150813.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 9
So everything is finished and the girls have been enjoying their new digs for almost a week now. I have a question regarding the roost bars. The hen house has 2 roost bars and they are set with the narrow side facing up. I have seen a couple of recommendations to set the bars with the wide side up and was wondering if that is necessary. The older 2 chicks are 11 weeks and the younger group is around 8 weeks old.
Should I flip the roost bars to have them wide side up?
If so, should I wait until they are a little older (bigger feet)?

So far I’m really happy with the security of the run.

42F22FB8-55A8-4BC8-8E38-A81FD7B92179.jpeg 8F58B3EA-4B2F-4EB5-A90E-D6EFEC0BA6C3.jpeg

Should I flip the roost bars to have them wide side up?
If so, should I wait until they are a little older (bigger feet)?

You could flip one and see which they like better.

I like to give my chickens options -- figuring that they know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken. :D

Looking from inside, you could move the door up fairly easily, cut 8" or 10" higher and put the piece you cut from the top on the bottom. A little tweak on the outside trim and voila. Or possibly build a box around it inside the coop to keep bedding from getting to it.

If you leave it the way it is and you use deep bedding, you'll hate yourself. 😁
My thoughts, exactly!!

Thank you! That was mostly DH and not my work 😉
Here is a photo from a little farther along, with the roof almost finished. We’ll be attaching the hardware cloth today 😬. Around the base of the terraces I’m going to dig outward a bit and place a hardware cloth apron, cover it back over with dirt and then we’ll put rocks around the edges to help keep everything in place. I don’t want anything digging under to get in the run. Besides the hawks and owls, we have coyotes, raccoons, skunks and opossums. And we have herons that hunt the gophers but I don’t think they’ll bother the chickens. A couple of days ago one had a gopher and a hawk tried to steal it away! He gave up pretty quickly but it was interesting to watch.

View attachment 2744588
Wow Very Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom