Run construction in progress -- pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fiddlebanshee, Aug 20, 2011.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Just thought I'd share our progress so far with the 32x20 ft run. Here are some pics as of today.

[​IMG]
    This is the view from the house. The blind wall in the coop that is towards this side will get two 12x24 windows that fit between the studs that I found for $20 each at Restore. I'll mount them so that I can open them from the outside and mount hardware cloth on the inside. The other four windows at the other side are home-made plexiglass windows that hinge at the topside. Underneath will be an access hatch to get to the nest boxes for eggs. This is also where the door into the run will be.

The run will be roofed with ondura panels for half of the length, the other half will get hardware cloth. The ondura will go over the chicken coop, as you can see the design flaw for placing the shed was to have the low side of the shed roof drain into the run -- rain+dirt=mud right where they will come out of the coop. So the roof is going over the coop (which will hopefully also keep it cooler in the summer). There will be about a foot overhang at this side, and appr. 2 ft overhang at the long sides of the run (just because that is the size of the ondura panels, and it'll prevent us having to cut them.).

[​IMG]
    This is the people access doors, that will not be enclosed in the run. The roof will go over this area, but the fencing will stop at the right hand side of the doors, leaving easy access to the doors with a wheelbarrow, feed, etc.

Please let me know any comments, suggestions or questions you may have.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    That is going to be so nice, keep the pics coming.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Oh my god that will be awesome keep on posting pictures.

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I luv how you went completely over the roof of the shed/coop [​IMG]

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Holy cow!!!!

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Very impressive! And what a beautiful setting for your coop and run..

Gail

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    And what a beautiful setting for your coop and run..

Thank you! Yes, we live on top of a mountainridge @ 600 ft on a 14 acre totally wooded lot. This also brings with it a mix of wildlife that is not necessarily compatible with chickens -- bobcat, coyote, bear, mountain lion, owl, hawk in addition to the usual suspects: coons, possums, skunks, foxes and possibly some sort of weasels. So you see the need to approach the run construction with some diligence. I just hope it will be enough.

I have my order to Meyer in my shopping basket there. I still haven't pressed the order button, first available shipping date is 9/20 I just hope we will be ready then.​

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

All THAT and you haven't even ordered your chicks yet???? [​IMG] Holy Moly!! Keep in mind that you'll have a month of brooding time extra to work on the run - so click that "ORDER" button already!!!! I can't wait to see how it turns out - you guys are going all out. Well done!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by