Run Construction

Holland89

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Essex County, Ontario, Canada
Evening Everyone,
Currently my chickens are free range but with winter coming we want to construct a run. We have 10 chickens and 1 duck, how big of a run should they have? I've been researching and getting a lot of different answers. Our coop can accommodate up to 15 chickens so I guess I would want a run big enough for up to 15 chickens. When the weather is nice again come spring I plan to free range them, but prefer to keep them under tabs in the winter. Any input is appreciated.

Our coop can accommodate up to 15 chickens so I guess I would want a run big enough for up to 15 chickens.
Minimum 150sqft....double that would be better.

How you built it would depend on your climate.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603919461579.png

Minimum 150sqft....double that would be better.

How you built it would depend on your climate.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2390865
I'm in extreme southern Ontario, right across from Detroit, Michigan. Our winters are relatively mild, for example Christmas 2019 is was 50°F. But we are known to dip into the negatives during polar vortex that can last up to a week.

I'm in extreme southern Ontario, right across from Detroit, Michigan. Our winters are relatively mild, for example Christmas 2019 is was 50°F. But we are known to dip into the negatives during polar vortex that can last up to a week.
Would be good to build your run with a solid roof and plan to wind block it for winter...
...for those days long storms that can make the coop a bit crowded.
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?

Would be good to build your run with a solid roof and plan to wind block it for winter...
...for those days long storms that can make the coop a bit crowded.
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
The coop is 6'×12', raised 1' off the ground. Non-insulated but vented with steel roof. We'll be putting it on the south side of the house to shield it from the north winds and optimize sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom