Run & Coop along (a sequel to my other thread)

How about trying to make something like this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mini-coop-or-integration-pen-from-a-large-dog-crate.76593/

0511211358-jpg.2676116

Or even this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-broody-breaker.76592/

0427211046-jpg.2663106

I'm sorry, but there is no getting around the fact that the little box you have isn't a coop at all. It's maybe big enough to convert it into 3-4 nestboxes when you build your coop, but it is not only barely big enough to technically hold ONE chicken, it hasn't any room for a roost and has no ventilation.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Since the smallest recommended flock is 3 birds the smallest possible coop for a healthy, 3-bird, mini-flock is 3x4 -- approximately the size of a standard pallet.

0528210943-jpg.2702335

I hate to disillusion you because I know you're trying very hard, but there is absolutely no way to make that little box work no matter what you do with it. :(

How about trying to make something like this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mini-coop-or-integration-pen-from-a-large-dog-crate.76593/

0511211358-jpg.2676116

Or even this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-broody-breaker.76592/

0427211046-jpg.2663106

I'm sorry, but there is no getting around the fact that the little box you have isn't a coop at all. It's maybe big enough to convert it into 3-4 nestboxes when you build your coop, but it is not only barely big enough to technically hold ONE chicken, it hasn't any room for a roost and has no ventilation.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Since the smallest recommended flock is 3 birds the smallest possible coop for a healthy, 3-bird, mini-flock is 3x4 -- approximately the size of a standard pallet.

0528210943-jpg.2702335

I hate to disillusion you because I know you're trying very hard, but there is absolutely no way to make that little box work no matter what you do with it. :(
that's why i'm going to try and build a hoop tractor.. i will try and find palettes when i look for hay. thank you for the ideas!

i am trying to figure out what to do, because people are saying to build a hoop tractor, and build a stationary coop, and build a bunch of other things. so what should i work on?
Right now, what ever is easiest for you to do quickly to give them more coop room. If that's a basic hoop coop, or a pallet tractor, that doesn't matter. Just whatever you can do fast and good.

i am trying to figure out what to do, because people are saying to build a hoop tractor, and build a stationary coop, and build a bunch of other things. so what should i work on?

Hoop =/= tractor.

A stationary hoop coop is probably the fastest thing.

In order to make it mobile you have to use more lumber to make it stronger in order to be able to move it without it falling apart. :D

Hoop =/= tractor.

A stationary hoop coop is probably the fastest thing.

In order to make it mobile you have to use more lumber to make it stronger in order to be able to move it without it falling apart. :D
ohh.. ok thank you! i have literally no knowledge of building coops, but i imagine it's like building a playhouse, or building a building..

Back
Top Bottom