Run, coop and free ranging question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Liltritter, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Liltritter

Liltritter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca
    My ladies are about 5 months old with 1 roo (12 total). We got them as chicks, when they were fully feathered we moved them to the coop. Its was hot here so we didn't do the house breaking by leaving them closed in for a week. We did however place everyone inside the coop each night until they went there by themselves each dusk.

My question. Its cooled down and I wanted to let them outside (inside the run is a cooling mist system) the run to eat the grass and such that grows around our acre.... They won't leave their run.....will they always be this way now?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    They'll want out of the run eventually, for now they are small and vulnerable so it's understandable.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    X2. Some of my young birds will rather hang around inside the pen all day where it's hot & dirty than go outside and scratch in the nice green grass. They eventually get with the program though.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Once they discover that they can go out and roam, they will be champing at the bit each day to go.

Chris

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by