Run Fence Type Question

ravenvalor

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Greetings All,

Hope this Memorial Day weekend finds you well.

Can someone please suggest a strong permanent fence for my new run? I tried the Premier 1 poultry netting but there are too many trees surrounding the run area. I was thinking of something more durable than chicken wire. I used chicken wire before and find it to be kind of floppy. The run will be 100 x 50. I have a chicken tractor that I plan to move around in the run and let the chickens out whenever we are home to watch them. I only plan to have 7 - chickens because I want to preserve the integrity of the special forage grasses that I will grow this summer.

Thank you so much for the friendly advice....

Jim

I use welded wire. It is strong, durable, and i have never had it sag or break. It is more expensive than chicken wire, but last much longer. I've always had to replaced chicken wire after a bit, but not this stuff.

Hardware cloth for a 50 x 100 foot pen would be ideal but cost a small fortune. Look into woven wire non climb horse fence. Not cheap either but much more durable than welded wire. I just built a 90 x 50 night time safe area for my goats and chickens with 6' non climb horse fence surrounded by electric.

These are some good suggestions. I am now armed with lots of info to tread lightly at the 'big box' stores for the ultimate solution. I think I will start at Tractor Supply and go from there.

Take Care.

Jim

Hardware cloth for a 50 x 100 foot pen would be ideal but cost a small fortune. Look into woven wire non climb horse fence. Not cheap either but much more durable than welded wire. I just built a 90 x 50 night time safe area for my goats and chickens with 6' non climb horse fence surrounded by electric.

Hi Primo,

I looked at the hardware cloth and the woven wire and you are right they are not cheap. I was wondering which one of these two would best contain a couple of miniature pigs?
I just cleared a 1/4 acre wooded lot and was thinking of letting a couple of pigs spend a few months in it in order to break up the ground and fertilize it. Once it is well fertilized and broken up I was planning on planting a special chicken forage grass mix for the chickens to graze on. It sounds extreme but here in NC the organic chicken feed is $60/LB.

Thanks and hope you had a great Memorial Day in the Lone Star state.

Jim

Definitely go with woven wire. It is nearly indestructible and far cheaper than hardware cloth. Hardware cloth is great for small runs and securing coops, but would be unaffordable for 1/4 acre. Welded wire is cheap, but I don't trust it. Have seen it torn apart easily by large dogs.
Woven wire comes in various size wire openings and heights. It must be installed properly by pulling it tight with a come along or vehicle. Corners must be braced too support this. Look up YouTube videos on how to do this. Building a fence right the first time will spare you years of headache down the road.

Back
Top Bottom