Run floor

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey y’all, Im wondering what everyone uses for their run floors. Right now ours is just dirt. Does anyone use wood chips (and if it’s any good)? I’m looking for something that would be inexpensive and safe for my chickens! Thanks!

What are you looking for it to do? I use pebbles in some parts of my run and then mulch over the rest of it. This helps with drainage and keeps the chickens feet cleaner.

What are you looking for it to do? I use pebbles in some parts of my run and then mulch over the rest of it. This helps with drainage and keeps the chickens feet cleaner.
I’m not really sure to be honest. They dig at the dirt which is normal i know but i’m hoping to find something that can maybe keep the run dryer.

I’m not really sure to be honest. They dig at the dirt which is normal i know but i’m hoping to find something that can maybe keep the run dryer.
Wood chips or mulch will do that. If you have drainage issues adding a layer of pebbles under it works wonders. I’ve tried most run materials. The one I can say that has worked the best for me so far is the mulch and stone combo. But my run is on slanted ground and I have a lot of pooling water. So I needed the stone.

i’m hoping to find something that can maybe keep the run dryer.
Is there standing water in the run, or does it drain well after a hard rain?
Pics would help.

If you have the space to store a large pile of wood chips from a tree trimmer,
that's the best way to go, IMO.

full

full

full

Is there standing water in the run, or does it drain well after a hard rain?
Pics would help.

If you have the space to store a large pile of wood chips from a tree trimmer,
that's the best way to go, IMO.

full

full

full
I don’t have any picture at the moment but no standing water it just gets mushy almost

Back
Top Bottom