Run Floor

K-9mom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Ok.. I have settled on my plan for the coop and was going to use an old dog kennel for the run until I can afford (and get time) to buy more wood & hardware mesh to build a completely enclosed run 6 x 8 x 6. My question is... how many people put wire down as a floor to the run to prevent anything from digging in. Is it recommended? If so, what would be the best type of wire/fence and how should it be attached?
I know we have Fox, Fishers, Skunks, and I couldn't promise a Bobcat won't come passing through. Never saw a Raccoon on the property nor Coyote's but they may come once they smell dinner.

Last edited:
I had planned on putting wire down on the floor for our run that we are currently building. It is a stationary run that I can't seem to dig down into to bury the fence due to gravel and hard earth...I think a good thick gauge wire would do and if attached properly to the frame, I can't imagine a predator getting in. Just my 2 cents...

If you put something down like that, be sure to put a few inches of sand over the top of it. So that the chickens don't have to walk on wire all the time and also, they like to scratch and dust bathe in the dirt and wouldn't be able to do that with wire on top of the run floor.

I used discarded carpeting instead of wire, extending it out about 3 feet on either side, and put down a double layer. Picked it up for free from people's trash! It lasts at least 10 years, and I can guarantee that, if you can only cut it with a sharp blade, nothing will dig through it.

I also use old carpet in my garden -- makes wonderful weed barrier, then mulch on top.

Thanks for the responses. I really would prefer not to use anything on the bottom. I suppose I will keep them in at night for awhile and see how things go for predators.

Back
Top Bottom