Run flooring suggestions

Jun 10, 2021
Would love to know your opinions...
I have upgraded to a dog kennel for a run and it has the dog kennel top on it. It's the green one from tractor supply for a 10x10 kennel. My coop is kinda downhill from our house but it's on level ground. When it rains a lot the run becomes a muddy mess. Oh and stinks! I usually toss some pine shavings in to help dry it up quicker. What is your suggestion/opinion on what to put in the run. I am seeing alot of people talking about deep litter and composting but I don't really want to create a compost since they are fairly close to the house. Can you explain the deep litter to me in case I am misunderstanding? Are the pine shavings used for deep litter? Do I just put a bunch down and forget about it until I need to add more? Do I ever have to shovel it out or will it break down and disappear on its own. 🙈🤣 Yes I just sounded lazy but I would love to find a good lasting solution for my run that works better than what I've been doing without adding more work 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣🤣. Thank you all!! When my younger chicks get older I will open the run door and let them All free range again and it's much easier to handle than when they are kept in the run all day and it rains all day and they just make mud puddles. (the ducks love it but pretty sure the chickens are saying ewww!)

You're misunderstanding deep litter. My deep litter run is about 20' from my living room, but even if you stand in it, you won't smell anything.

Wood shavings is NOT deep litter. If you have room for a load of wood chips from a tree company, that's the ideal base material. Then layer in whatever organic material you get from your home or environment - dried leaves in the fall, short cut dried grass after mowing, pulled weeds, garden trimmings, etc. The wood chips provide drainage and aeration and allow the various other materials to break down along with the poop.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

The magic of Deep Litter is that the composting interaction between litter and poop neutralizes the poop so that nothing smells.

Coarse wood chips are usually considered the gold standard for the purpose, but any dry organic material works. Wood chips, wood shaving (in quantity, not just lightly sprinkled), straw, pine straw, dry leaves, dried lawn clippings, whatever you have readily and affordably available.

Because I'm in the US Southeast my run litter is mostly pine straw -- which is free for the raking from my yard.

You're misunderstanding deep litter. My deep litter run is about 20' from my living room, but even if you stand in it, you won't smell anything.

Wood shavings is NOT deep litter. If you have room for a load of wood chips from a tree company, that's the ideal base material. Then layer in whatever organic material you get from your home or environment - dried leaves in the fall, short cut dried grass after mowing, pulled weeds, garden trimmings, etc. The wood chips provide drainage and aeration and allow the various other materials to break down along with the poop.
Do you have to dig it up and replace or you just keep adding grass clippings, etc to it?

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

The magic of Deep Litter is that the composting interaction between litter and poop neutralizes the poop so that nothing smells.

Coarse wood chips are usually considered the gold standard for the purpose, but any dry organic material works. Wood chips, wood shaving (in quantity, not just lightly sprinkled), straw, pine straw, dry leaves, dried lawn clippings, whatever you have readily and affordably available.

Because I'm in the US Southeast my run litter is mostly pine straw -- which is free for the raking from my yard.
I am in northern Alabama. I have pine trees lining my property so I can get pine needles pretty easy if that would work as my base layer...but how thick would it need to be? Also I have pine bedding that I use in the coop...could I use that on top of the pine needles and then throw grass clippings on top when we mow?

Is

If I can't get any wood chips is there anything wrong with layering with pine bedding? Do I have to shovel it out over time or does it just break down as I add more?

Here is a picture of our setup currently...except we have had a lot of rain so the run is muddy 🥴 Unfortunately I don't have a better picture of just the run rifht now on my phone.
CEC5648A-6892-40B6-B0B5-F06DE56DB419.png

Is

If I can't get any wood chips is there anything wrong with layering with pine bedding? Do I have to shovel it out over time or does it just break down as I add more?
It just won't work as well, shavings are too thin so they tend to pack together.
If you can't find and store a pile of tree trimmings,
might look for some chunky pine bark in bags.

Back
Top Bottom