Run flooring

Peckeruk

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2019
Hi All
The school were I work we have 28 chickens, which we keep in a large sheltered run over night and let out to roam during the day. In the sheltered run with have a shed which we converted into a coop. We clean the coop regularly but I'm at a lose what to do with the run.
As you can imagine alot of poop builds up in the run. It is just bare soil which is hard as it is bone dry. What's the best way to clean/deal with the run, is there anything I could put on the floor to freshen it up?
Any ideas much appreciated.

Wood chips(tree trimming) or a natural mulch, not shavings will be your least amount of work, also add some leaves in the fall. The only work that needs to be done is add more chips or mulch as needed. Keep it 3 - 4 inches deep. I have 24 chickens that spend most of the day in the run during the week, they are let out all weekend. My run doesn't smell and you hardly see poop. It dries up and breaks down into the bedding.

Sand will need to be scooped or sifted daily, with that many chickens.

I also add my yard and garden waste to my run.

20171126_121131.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I think I will dig over the soils and lay down some hay and grass cuttings.

X3 on the arborist mulch. I just put some down in my new coop over a little bit of dirt and some hardware cloth. Old coop was bare hard-pan dirt and could get smelly as it couldn't soak up the daily contributions. Saw someone's coop with mulch/wood chips and it didn't smell at all and the chickens seemed happy as it gave something for them to rummage through. It breaks down and improves the soil and loosens it up over time from all the worms it brings, also makes hiding places for small insects which the chicks would appreciate too. If it gets too much, rake it all out into the compost or garden bed and put more down just like you'd do for deep bedding.

Back
Top Bottom