Run Flooring?

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
I will be putting my coop into an area that becomes full of growth in the summer time. Tall grass etc... I know most people do not put a flooring on the run area, but my plan is to put in a floor for the run and then add some dirt/sand/chips flooring material on top of the plywood flooring. I would of course prime this flooring before adding the dirt/sand/chips flooring material. Can anybody give me some input into this idea or feedback from some of you who have done this and tips etc?
Thanks,
Steve

I thought of that, but if you saw the ground you'd understand. It considered a wetland area, although not very 'wet'. Bumpy and uneven. I suppose I could put down gravel then sand then sawdust etc.... Still would like to know if anyone else has built a floor for their run.
Thanks,
Steve

You could build a frame/box around the bottom of the run and fill it with sand. This would drain well for you. You mentioned that it was wetland...is the area prone to flooding or is it just a part of a designated wetland??

How big of a run are you planning?

Ed

No, no flooding at all... just designated land. Flooding would be bad :)
Planning a 12x5 run, I think...

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I would just use sand in there. If you laid gravel in there the chickens might have trouble digging themselves some nice dustbaths.

One thing that I think you should pay good attention to is making your run and coop as "tight" as you can. I don't know where your located at, but most of the time when I think of wetlands I think of the area having a good population of snakes. Pay attention to joints and cracks and crannies. Seal any gaps with 1/2" hardware cloth. If possible I'd do the entire run in 1/2" hardware cloth. Of course you might be somewhere that snakes aren't a problem at. ???
idunno.gif
Don't forget an apron around the perimeter to discourage digging critters....or maybe an electric fence for four-legged critters.

Going back to your run area don't worry about the bumps and dips...they'll probably get leveled out soon enough. Beware of anything with thorns (prickly pears, briars, bamboo vines, etc.) or sharp edges (sharp edged gravel, for instance) that could injure or irritate the bottom of the chickens' feet. Small injuries on the sole of their feet can turn into bumblefoot which is a staph infection. Even rough concrete and rough roost poles can cause it (round off the edges of the 2x4 roost poles).

Ed

Sounds good. I mainly want to suppress growth. Sand + Chickens ought to work
smile.png

I live in coastal Maine. As far as predators go, my concerns will be Racoons, Foxes and Coyote. The only snakes we have around here are not poisonous.
I do plan on using Hardware Cloth everywhere, and will secure the perimeter.
Thanks for the tips,
Steve

If it's a designated wetland you might want to check with your state as to what changes you can and cannot make legally.
wink.png

I am very aware of the changes I can make. I had to go through the DEP to build my house as well as designate 3 acres to conservancy. I am allowed to cut trees and remove brush. I cannot dig out the land for a foundation is about all. Thanks for the concern however.
Steve

Good, as long as you have your bases covered.
smile.png

A note on the snakes (I didn't see your last post until just now) they need not be poisonous to kill your chickens and steal your eggs. Unfortunately, even the non-venomous varieties are fans of poultry.

Back
Top Bottom