Run flooring

Should I scrape to the ground, or leave the detritus?

• Let it be

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get rid of it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

libarata

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2014
New Market, VA
Hey all, first post.

Here in a week or two I plan on ordering some Bantam Dominiques. This will be the first livestock experience I have had. Today, I located the area I will be utilizing for the run, and cleared the ground for the fencing I will install tomorrow. The question I have, is should I scrape the detritus away so that there is bare ground, or could I leave that all there. I live in Southern Shenandoah County, VA in the National Forest. The ground detritus is at least 2-4 inches deep of composting matter. I am looking at it, as this will provide a little more of a natural area for them to hunt for insects. What I have moved away has revealed straight dirt, so that dirst has not seen light for a very long time.

I am still deciding on a coop design, and have the materials for the run right now, so that is what I am working on while the weather is decent.

Thanks!

I'd leave the compost there, otherwise you'll have a low spot that will collect water. Also, as you pointed out, the compost will be great for them to scratch around in.

Back
Top Bottom