Run floors and foxes

Bulgarianlily

Hatching
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Been looking at a lot of chicken coops on here and most don't seem to have anything to stop foxes digging under the walls of the run part. Do you think this isn't needed? Here I can only get chain link fencing or very weak thin hexagonal chicken wire, so I have gone with the chain link and I ran it down the side walls and right under the run. I wish I could find some kind of weld mesh! But I am wondering about leaving the floor unprotected? Be glad of any comments.

You could still put a skirt around the coop and weigh it down with rocks. When you move it, remove the rocks, move the coop and replace the rocks.

My tractor/ark has no skirt and an open floor. I figure that the fox is most likely to come at night unless she has young with her. In that case as long as my birds are locked inside the coop at night they should be fine.

EDIT: just wanted to say, you could try Ebay or Amazon for welded wire mesh, I managed to get some really cheap from Amazon

Last edited:
They just don't seem to use welded mesh here in Bulgaria. Finding anything here can be an adventure! Very very few big stores and almost no chains of stores, usually you find that someone has what you need in a locked up garage round the back of some soviet era appartments somewhere! But so far, no welded mesh.

Bulgaria has almost no fences in the entire country but they do use chain link round house gardens.

Back
Top Bottom