run help! my girls escape the yard, eat my house, dig and destroy!

funnyfoshay

Songster
Apr 12, 2018
desperate for a containment for my 9 girls. they are almost a year old. They have done so much damage to my wood fence, eating the paint off my house, didding up plants, eating plants of course, pooping everywhere and hopping over our 4 foot fence into the front yard to dig up plants there.

I need a run, big enough for 9 big girls (we are desperately trying to rehome at least 2 because maybe the size of the flock in my small yard is the problem??), durable enough for massachusetts weather

Today I was so done looking at the mess and trying to hop over the barricades set up to protect my house that I built a run. It will never hold up all summer and one girl already flew up and over it-was a bit of a struggle for her though.

I need suggestions to add fun in the run so they will stay in it! I know they want trees so I had to build one out of an old christmas tree and some small logs...What else can I put in to give them something to hide under and get shade?

I would love any thoughts on affordable easy addition ideas for the run we have.

I made this out of a bunch of 4" fence pieces from Lowes and I attached chicken wire to the top with zip ties to make it high enough to contain them.
IMG_20190325_190153505.jpg
IMG_20190325_190145662.jpg
IMG_20190325_190225806.jpg

I am so scared they are going to escape when we are at work tomorrow and get back up to their shenanegans!

If you don't have to worry about predators then you might be able to use the plastic deer fencing that comes in 7ft height https://www.homedepot.com/p/7-ft-x-100-ft-Deer-Block-Netting-889553A/202267888 Not sure how high they can get but from what I've seen they need distance to get height. I know when I had to coral an escapee I used a 3-4ft piece of cardboard and in the confined space she could not top it. If they can get over 7ft then your going to have to roof it with either wire hardware cloth, chicken wire , or netting. I have lots of predators so I built my run fully enclosed. Good luck

If they really want out they're going to get out, unless you can find a way to cover it. You could try topping it with some netting, using tall t-posts or u-posts around the perimeter of that fence to help hold it up.

As far as things to add (and keep in mind the more you add, the more floor space you're eating up) you can try branches for roosts or "junk" like stumps, pallets, old patio furniture, etc. that they can climb up on and go around and under.

Back
Top Bottom