Run help! Panels of hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by uc4tuna, Jul 31, 2012.

1. uc4tuna

uc4tuna In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Daly City, Ca
    Hi everyone!

I am a complete building newbie, unfortunately. I have an eglu cube, which is fine for my 4 chickens, but the run is too small, so I am planning to build a walk-in run to attach the Cube to. I am in San Francisco (so winter lows are maybe in the 20s) and we have lots of raccoons, possums, skunks, hawks, and dogs to protect our flock against.

I have a 6' x 12' footprint to build the run in (already have the base of the run built, with base rock and then sand in there), and planning to make it 6" tall:

[​IMG]

But of course this 4' by 10' Eglu run is too small (especially the door) and so I want to build a run that I will be able to walk into. This is the sort of run that I would love to have:

[​IMG]

(I would just order from this company but they are in the UK, so I have to try to build one instead.)

So, having no building experience whatsover, I am hoping to ask some humble questions of the knowledgeable people on this site:

1. It seems like I can just use hardware cloth panels to construct most of the run. Should I use 1x2 wood to build the frame, and then staple the hardware cloth to the wood? I'm thinking of mostly 3' x3' frames, but maybe 3' x 6' frames with a crosspost in the middle would be enough (like below?)?

[​IMG]

2. Can I just screw the panels of hardware cloth together to build the run? Do I need extra support posts? I'm planning to sink some 4x4 in each corner in some cement, but do I need some along the 12' edge of the run too?

Thanks for any advice!

2. flewdacoop

flewdacoop Songster

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    the more wood you put in the structure the heavier it gets but the more animals it keeps out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: