1. dominiker

dominiker In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Anyone got a cheap idea for a run in the backyard.

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Here's mine. 8 sections of 3/4" pvc pipe (cut to be about 5'8" tall).
    4 10' pressure treated 2x4's.
    1 12' PT 2x4 cut into 4' sections for gate frame.
    3 rolls (I think) of 1x2" welded wire.
    3 hinges and 2 spring loaded gate latches.
    2x2 used for gate and supports (don't remember how many).
    1 10' section of crown mold screwed to the underside of the hoop arches for stability (found in garage-free)
    First pic is freestanding in my yard, second is attached to coop after I built it. Tarp over top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used galvanized screws and 90 degree angle bars for joining the 2x4's, but there are other ways to do it.
    The strip of white pvc pipe in the doorway is there to close up a gap that was a little wider than I thought was safe, because my door frame or my gate wasn't quite square. I just drilled a hole into the pvc and then screwed it to the frame to close the gap. I have the latches at the top and bottom of the gate for security. I extended the wire out about 18" on all sides and stake them down with tent stakes for digging critters.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. dominiker

dominiker In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Thats a very neat design I might try to build that,and thank you very much.

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    dog runs...besure to put a top over it...we live on 4 acres, and out in the country...we use chicken wire and havent had a problem with anything getting in on the top....and we have racoons and possums, and dogs in the area, among other things.

if you click at the bottom of my post click on my beautiful babies and you can see my run....for some reason I tried to post it here and it puts up every other picture but not the one's I want....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  5. [​IMG]

Check Craigslist for used lumber. We used our old deck boards, and a couple of handy guys built me an A-frame for free. Also, my coop is an insulated doghouse from Craigslist. Also free. Can you tell I like free things?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: