Run is finished! Link to my page

FisherMOM

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Bergen, NY
We finished the run.. and I am wondering if I should use these landscape timbers. I buried the hardware cloth 4 inches or so.. and lined it with rocks, then dirt. If I space these timbers like they are and plant flowers between them and the run.. will that make it easier for critters to dig under my wire?

If you go to MyPage.. check out the inside of the coop so far too on the page titled Inside Coop.
cool.png

Whatcha think?

Click here to see, please!

Hi, I think the way you build your run depends on the predators in your area.
I didn't bury my hardware cloth, I turned the bottom of the wire outward so there is a one foot area of wire around the run. But at one foot it was breached by a rat. So now I'll be doing 2 feet along the ground.
I think anything would dig 4 inches down. But you did a real nice job with the run and coop. Good luck

Thanks!

Rats have been known to be around the area. It has been a while, but they have been around. We have coyotes, fox, raccoons, opossums, skunks, and weasels. The weasels are iffy.. but folks that live 2 miles from me had weasels attack their chickens years ago....

Quote:
thanks!

The inside of the coop was going to be separate because of age difference in chickens... but they are all getting along now. So the inside will be ONE room. yeah! much easier.

The outside has a door in the middle that I can use to separate them if I want.. or only let them use one side if I want.

Originally.. that too was to keep the separate and keep them from fighting.

I only buried 4 inches (maybe 6) because I just could not afford all that hardware cloth. I figure the rocks will help. The ground was pretty rocky in most places too. It was a bear putting in most all of the posts!

Back
Top Bottom