Run is finished

Memgold121

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
Just an update. We have finished the new duck pen and I love it. They are out of the mud (for now) and they are loving the space. We also put our babies outside and everyone is doing well

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_162942_988.jpg
    IMG_20200530_162942_988.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
Looks great, and I x2 on @Miss Lydia "s recommendations.
X 3 on that and I want to add another suggestion. If you've got a big potted plant that you could put in there for shelter/shade for them to sleep by they will love it or even plant a bush but be sure it's not poison to them.

I'm thinking about a gardenia for my run. I've already got blueberries bushes in there but had to fence them off. I learned quickly that they will tear them up. I did put my big potted lemongrass plant in there and so far so good. They love to lay by it and with their long necks they like to pick at the dirt in the pot but it does no harm.

We've had them by plants before and all they did was eat them lol. But I am planning on winterizing it a little bit more at some point. The part of the yard where they are at is actually shaded by the trees for most of the day

It looks great! One recommendation well 2 actually you need more air in your coop windows I don’t see. And cover the top of that nice big run so nothing flies in.
Great looking run ! I also agree with Miss Lydia on wanting to cover the top. :) Not only keeping a predator from flying in, but keep the other ones like Raccoons and Opossums from climbing over the fence.

Last edited:
This is what I like to use to cover my run, light weight and cheaper and easier to use over steel chicken wire. The 4' safety barrier fencing comes in different colors, I like to use green. Then I also buy 4" plastic zip ties to tie everything together. So much faster and easier over using hard wire. On E bay they average around $9.00 a 1000 count.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...itJyuNJac9zBk1k4lmt3gbhhLWC99PCYaAmOpEALw_wcB

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...JqS1ztqcuf3A6GsTeQjFmvxGOx_E289IaAvCHEALw_wcB

Can that stuff be chewed through. I used the green plastic fencing around some blueberries and the rabbits chewed right through it. Do you think a raccoon or opossum could?

Can that stuff be chewed through. I used the green plastic fencing around some blueberries and the rabbits chewed right through it. Do you think a raccoon or opossum could?
Yes but it would take some time in doing so. IMO, that is some tough stuff. If your babies are locked in the coop at night this netting over the top during daytime use will keep the flying predators out. This stuff is much easier to work with, to each their own. :)

Back
Top Bottom