run mud smells like a pig's sty and low tide....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said:

Quote:
Again I am not saying sand wont work as a chicken litter box.....simply that there are much better ways

Here are several quotes from you indicating the fabricated perils of sand (keeping in mind that we are talking about chicken runs).

not anywhere did any of those say dont use sand it wont work.....I simply pointed out the downside, which I unlike you backed up with documentation (the mixtue of sand and clay does not care if it has chckens on top or not) that supported my point....I then offered my own OPINION on the options. The OP asked for what to do. I simply offered an option besides sand. Thats what they were asking for. The OP did not say tell me how great sand is or even ask about sand. They simply asked for options. I am very glad it works well for you and how you want your chickens kept. Other things work well for other people.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
organick,

I find it funny that of your posts on amending clay soil there is not one that I can say is from your own knowledge, they are all Dr. Chalker-Scott’s beliefs and you just reworded them to fit this thread.

Is there a reason for this?

Chris

Because I cited that article. I am not rewording anything. I was backing up a point with research. Another poster posted research as well. I also stated that I have clay soil I work with all the time. Have I used sand? No because I did RESEARCH FIRST......here maybe North Carolina State University can help you
Scroll to the NOT RECOMMENDED part to save time
http://durham.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/32/UNH 3.PDF

organick,

You may want to read that your self.

Quote: Chris09

Quote: organick

Quote: Chris09

Quote: North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service (the link you posted)

You do know that all soil is made up of Sand, Silt and Clay, and that a good draining soil is 40% Sand, 40% Silt, and 20% Clay

Chris

Last edited:
not anywhere did any of those say dont use sand it wont work.....I simply pointed out the downside, which I unlike you backed up with documentation (the mixtue of sand and clay does not care if it has chckens on top or not) that supported my point....I then offered my own OPINION on the options. The OP asked for what to do. I simply offered an option besides sand. Thats what they were asking for. The OP did not say tell me how great sand is or even ask about sand. They simply asked for options. I am very glad it works well for you and how you want your chickens kept. Other things work well for other people.

I'm not disputing that other things work well. I have been defending my position which needs no research to back it. I am a first hand witness to the effectiveness, success and benefits of using sand. Why on earth would I logically research the effectiveness when I am relating my first hand knowledge based on actual experience. You are citing other peoples research on soil amendment as it relates to gardening. I am speaking of first hand experience as it relates to chicken runs with clay as the primary foundation. All your "downsides" as you like to call them about sand are based on soil amendment for gardening and when applied to chicken runs falls short of truth.
edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
A few lines from the BYC thread on tone:
Quote: This thread has been cleaned of several instances of name calling, fighting, and flaming (attacking the other person.) Hopefully the OP has had his question answered sufficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom