Run or free range?

Quote:
I do this also. They get an hour or so to free range when one of us is out. We have foxes and a hawk also, so far NO problems!! Chrissie

Quote:
ANIMAL. Not fish.
wink.png

Sorry fish a part of the animal Kingdom in scientific classification.

Kingdon-Animalia
Phylum- Chordata
Class- fish

Sorry I'm a molecular Biologist and uber bio nerd
tongue.png

Last edited:
Just to put my 2 cents in: I was free ranging my birds all day when I or my husband was home. Til one day a hawk attacked my smallest (and most personable!) banty! I am so lucky that I got to her in time, took her to a hospital with a great bird vet, and now 2 months (or more) later she's doing great! Laying eggs and everything!

Anyways, hawks and stray dogs are a big problem here. So, My chickens have a roughly 30'x10' covered run which they are out in all day, then when I get home from work (or near the end of the off-work days) I let them out to free range, and I sit with them. Sometimes with a slingshot for those dang stray dogs! But it gives me time with my babies, they get fresh grass and fly-time, and I can garden or knit or just watch them play! It's not MY ideal set-up, but it's what is working for everyone, and keeping my stress low!
big_smile.png

Unless your extremely lucky, I think the risk is high on losing the odd bird to predators. Even a large run won't guarantee "not" losing a bird, but it certainly reduces the risk. Depends on how secure you make it.

I suppose you need to ask yourself, what is your risk tolerance. ( Like playing the stock market
wink.png
) No doubt it's tough on your kids to see the results of free ranging your chickens, but it's a lesson on life, and how harsh it can be, when your part of the food chain.

Mine haven't strayed very far. I have several gardens.I had to fence in a range area. I originally let them free range but they were destroying my gardens, and spreading my mulch pile all over. I got tired of constantly raking up my mulch pile and replanting my gardens. I tried spraying them with my garden sprayer or sometime put the sprinklers on. They would run out, but when the sprinklers were off they would venture in again. The temptation, so instead of fencing in my gardens, they got fenced in. Also, I have a lot of preditors such as cayotes, fox, coons, possums, hawks, owls, etc. which I have seen on my property. My coop and run are moveable. I used 2x2's, 2x4's and chicken wire on the top of my run. I have a fenced in area with chicken wire for my birds. I leave the pop door open 24/7 as well as the run gate so they can go in and out of their yard at will. So far I haven't had any problems with preditors. They get treats every day, and they are healthy. Here is a picture of my coop, run and part of their range area. I wanted to clean out around the base of an oak tree and decided to let the chickens. You can't really see the tree, but it is in the middle of their area. Eveything, coop, run and their range area are moveable.
yippiechickie.gif
pop.gif
love.gif

4942_coopnrun.gif

My chickens range over an acre of 1/2 woods, 1/2 open yard. They have been fine all spring/summer, but it is now hawk migration and depending on where you are in NY, you may be near one of the migratory paths. If so, then hawk predation will happen. Additionally, we have great horned owls that stalk the rodents in the woods, but have yet to come after any of the chickens. With the leaves coming down, I have erected some deer netting across their favorite roosts in the wood to allow them to continue to play out there without as much danger of predation. We do loose some, but they are good at making more.

I am gone from 8-5 three days a week and live in the country.

I have a 15x50 run around my coop and a 16x16 3-sided shed. It is not covered on the top. I have 4 heavy hens.

I can close my ladies up in the above run for the day while we are gone if we feel the need. All other days they are true free range. I do mean they wander around a distance.

Reasons I keep them in the run:

1. The other day we smelled the oder of a skunk in the am....so that day they spent in the fence until the sun was up and the skunk wasn't likely around any more.
2. In the spring when the fox has her kits, they spend the days in the run when no one was home.
3. Last week we got 4 inches of snow, it was in the teens and the wind was howeling. They spent the day in the run b/c they won't spend the day in the coop, so the shed and the run at least keeps them somewhat sheltered.

My ladies are always at the gate on the run and want to be out. I let them be as much as possible and there are some risks, but I take that because of my personal phlosophy on free range.

Works for me but not for every one.

Yeah, that's PROBABLY the route I'll take and possibly let the chickens out for a short time in the afternoon... supposedly less hawks closer to evening. I dunno. I wanted them to have space
sad.png
I will have to expand the run if they're not getting to go out all day. Blah.

On the plus side, supposedly the meaties get fatter. Trying to find a silver lining... right?

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom